Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing the aspect ratio flag in a title set..Is it possible???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yorkie984
    • Jan 2002

Changing the aspect ratio flag in a title set..Is it possible???

I have authored a movie and exported to a title set (ifo's, vob's etc) using Spruceup, which is an excellent program except it only supports 4:3 output. If using 16:9 source video it remains horizontally compressed and plays back fine on a 16:9 tv when manually selecting widescreen but because the flag is set to 4:3 the DVD will not pan and scan the movie for a 4:3 tv and therefore everything looks squashed.
    If I could change the flags on the Ifo's or Vobs to 16:9 then it would work correctly on both 4:3 and 16:9 tvs as the DVD would handle the video according to the tv settings of the DVD player. This seems such a simple thing to do but I cannot find a tool or any help on this subject.

Can anyone tell me how to change the aspect ratio flags please??
    it would be a great help.

TIA,
    Yorkie.
  • omarh
    • Nov 2001

I had a similar problem and it appears the aspect ratio is stored in the mpeg2 file itself.
    I had to re-encode the movie, but chose 4:3 for the ratio instead of 16:9 and it worked...
    it would've been nice if there was some trick to change it ...

Comment

• jemby
      • Jan 2002

There is a post someplace on this board on using spruceup and keeping the 16:9 if that is what the aspect of the mpeg. You can do it using IFOedit.
      There is also a program about that will change the aspect bits in the mpeg itself. It was written for the dazzle II capture card. There was a bug in the movie star software, and this allowed you to fix it. I'll try to find it again. I'm not sure of the results you would get by switching the aspect bits to 16:9 if the mpeg was encoded in 4:3, horizontal stretch maybe(now I'll have to try it).

Comment

• yorkie984
        • Jan 2002

If you could find this info (including a link to the post) that would be really useful.

Cheers,
        Yorkie.

Comment

• jemby
          • Jan 2002

Use IfoEdit on the ifo file for the movie. Display VTSI_MAT, find offset 200 (where it displays the aspect ratio).

Double click on it to edit, and add 3072 to the value. I know this isn't elegant (yet). You should also find the copy of this byte in video_ts.ifo and change it as well. You'll find it in VMG_VTS_ATRT, the field called VTSTT_VOBS for the appropriate vts. Don't forget to save the bup, or copy the ifo to bup.

(info courtesy of mpucoder)

This only works if you have a 16:9 videostream(ie 16:9 before spruceup).

Other settings for this flag can be figured using:

UPDATE:
          I just tried this, and using the latest ifoedit, just go to offsett 200 in VTSI_MAT and double click. You will get a menu to choose settings to your hearts content.

To change the aspect on the video stream get fix12c from here: http://www.geocities.com/eby_vdo/
          Last edited by jemby; 30 Jan 2002, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• yorkie984
            • Jan 2002

Hey, thanks, this will help me out very much.

Cheers,

Yorkie.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎