Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > General Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18 Dec 2005, 11:43 AM   #1

Default Issues with authoring DVD...

hello...

i'm having a few problems trying to author a dvd. i have video files in avi format, and i'm trying to author this dvd using nero.

everytime i try to burn the dvd, it gets about 10 minutes into transcoding the first video file, and i either get an error message, or i need to reboot (bluescreen or auto-restart).

my system stats: celeron 2800+, with 512 meg ram, two hdd (120 + 80 gb), and asrock motherboard, a samsung dvd-rom and a pioneer dvr-108 dvdrw. i dunno what else to add...

similarly, i cannot back up any of my dvds either. i have been using a variety of programmes, and EVERYTIME i get bluescreens with about 20 - 25 minutes left of the image being burnt. i dunno what it is that i am doing wrong, as i used to be able to do all of this stuff up until a few months ago. it's as if something somewhere has happened that has stopped me being able to do this...
muzzbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2005, 12:56 PM   #2
Not a god of digital video

First, you'll need to convert your AVIs to DVD if you wanna play them in your DVD player.

See here and here for 2 good guides.

After that, it sounds like you got a burning problem. Read and implement the Golden Rules of Burning.

Regards

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
[What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Dec 2005, 07:04 PM   #3

thanks for that...

i checked everything. i did everything you suggested (firmware, dma/ide, etc), and i tried to burn again. nothing. it gets about 10 minutes into transcoding the first episode, and then POW! with the error prompt...

similarly, i cannot backup any of my dvds, either...i have tried using anydvd/dvd43 in the background, and then either (a) using clonedvd, (b) dvdshrink [with nero], or (c) dvd shrink to burn the image, THEN later to burn the image onto dvd with either nero/dvdshrink.

nothing.

bluescreens or resets after about 15 minutes, usually when there is about 20 - 25 minutes of 'estimated' time left. almost always without fail...i used to be able to back up dvds without a hitch, then, i went a few months without doing it, and just now recently, i am unable to do it...

is there perhaps a programme/function which conflicts with dvd burning or any dvd burning applications? it just doesn't make any sense...for me to NEVER have been able to author/backup dvds would make sense, but this has, quite literally, only JUST been a problem...

thanks so much for your help, blutach...
Old 18 Dec 2005, 08:13 PM   #4

OK, so the AVIs have been converted to DVD no problem? Can you watch the resultant DVDs in a software player (e.g Media Player Classic) and they look OK?

Blue screens etc are hardware issues. I'm transferring this thread to General Computing, where Chewy will help. In the meantime, have you checked your temperatures, fans etc?

If it's a recent problem, do a system restore (assuming you're on XP). Think about what you've installed recently. Do a virus and spyware check.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 18 Dec 2005 at 08:15 PM
Old 18 Dec 2005, 08:19 PM   #5

well, you see, the 'burning', per se, isn't getting done.

when trying to author the dvds, the process goes for about 10 minutes or so, into the first video's 'transcoding', and then the error sign pops up...

but yeah, months ago, the AVIs would burn to the dvd without a problem. this is only a recent issue, it would seem...the burnt dvds would work in all manner of players; dvd player, dvd rom, xbox and the like...

how do i check my fan temps? also, how do i do system restore???
Old 18 Dec 2005, 08:25 PM   #6

OK, the DVD creation isn't getting done - obviously due to a hardware problem.

System restore: Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> System Tools --> System Restore

You will wanna restore your PC to an earlier time - say just before you noticed this happening.

To check on temps, use speedfan - google it.

Regards
Old 18 Dec 2005, 09:08 PM   #7

hardware problem, hey??? that doesn't sound good...

with a system restore, do i lose anything that i've installed? i mean, say i restore the pc to, august 20th. would i lose something i installed in september???

thanks for the speedfan advice. i'll get onto it now...

cheers...
Old 18 Dec 2005, 09:12 PM   #8

Yes. But that's the idea - if you've installed a rogue program, system restore takes you back to when it was working.

You lose no data.

Just re-install the progs and test after each.

Regards
Old 19 Dec 2005, 06:19 AM   #9
Demigod of Digital Video

people are so scared of a system restore and it is completely BASELESS. if you want to cover all your bases, make a restore point, BEFORE you restore to a point. this way you can go right back to where you were before using system resore
"You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
(An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

LT. Columbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2005, 09:31 AM   #10

i tried to restore to a previous date many time, though 'no luck'...

it kept on saying that it failed, or something like that...

is there somewhere i can perhaps post a nero error log, or something? it's pretty huge. can i upload it as an attachment or something???
Old 19 Dec 2005, 09:59 AM   #11
Super Moderator

muzzbait,
let's back up a bit and get your basic problems fixed before
we get over chewy's head with authoring. Chewy never use restore!
Now what other symptoms does the computer have, slowness, reboots,
freezes, etc?
Have gremlins infested it, spyware, malware, virii, trojans?
Computers are like any complex machines, they take care and maintenance.
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2005, 10:44 AM   #12
Demigod of Digital Video

Quote:
is there somewhere i can perhaps post a nero error log, or something? it's pretty huge. can i upload it as an attachment or something???
i highly suggest you follow chewy's advice, but if and when the time comes you want to post a nero log, here's how
http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...239#post314239
LT. Columbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2005, 01:02 PM   #13

chewy...

symptoms...nothing out of the ordinary, apart from the backing up/authoring problems. nothing at all. the computer is a darling, except when it comes do dvd making...

i have all manner of virus protection and anti spyware and the like. i also just recently had my computer analysed for bugs and everything else. came up great. it's just the burning. unfortunately, it begins and ends there...i just can't burn ANYTHING anymore...when authoring, i get either reboots or error messages, and when i'm trying to back up dvds, i either get reboots or bluescreens, usually when there is 20 - 25 minutes of image burning to go...it's maddening, i tell you!

so please, chewy, get us outta here!!!

haha...nothing else AT all to complain about. sadly, it all begins and ends with the pioneer dvr-108...
Old 19 Dec 2005, 01:09 PM   #14

here is the log from the failed authoring job...

i couldn't cut and paste, unfortunately...
Attached Files
File Type: txt ad2a.txt‎ (51.1 KB, 279 views)
Old 19 Dec 2005, 02:47 PM   #15
Super Moderator

what a log,
let's start by cleaning up some junk, get rid of aspi(killaspi)?,
other burning program(sonic,easycd,veritas) imageburn or dvdd are fine.
Disable any virtual drives(game images) etc. Go to msconfig and
do a real housecleaning of items in the startup.
Uninstall INCD!

free up some memory, a lot of it! It's not that you will need that much more,
the programs running in the background just cause conflicts.

"all manner of virus protection and anti spyware and the like"
that's bad not good, two programs trying to do the same thing are like 2 people trying to drive the same car, crash!

Turn them off!

starters
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote