Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > General Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2007, 08:17 PM   #211
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Yeah, you would have to remove that part of the activation notify, maybe a way somehow for an ultra hacker type!

But I don't really mind that part; If I can just run the slipstream cd & walk away, come back 10 min. later & have a fresh desktop I am happy! The activation is a minor thing.
katzdvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 08:22 PM   #212

I agree... I mean all i do now is just overwrite the activation files with the saved ones from my last activation.
This isn't an illegal thing btw..it's just a way to avoid going through the steps and getting the same result.
You can;t use activation files from another computer to activate a different copy... the key generated is based off hardware id tags of hardware installed on that rig. So if you changed out your motherboard and reused everything else then reinstalled windows, you would generate a different activation key.
Budreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2007, 08:40 PM   #213
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
This isn't an illegal thing btw..it's just a way to avoid going through the steps and getting the same result.
You can;t use activation files from another computer to activate a different copy... the key generated is based off hardware id tags of hardware installed on that rig.
Sure enough. I wasn't implying anything illegal, I just meant that it is a minor step to do, since the first thing I do after securing the pc, is go on the 'net & activate. It would be nice to have it all automated, though, I agree. I guess the activation key is (probably) date stamped.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 10:58 AM   #214
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Ok, I goofed up up a bit here; I forgot about the omega vid. drivers & mistakenly installed the regular nvidia drivers. After I realized the mistake, I uninstalled them & did install the omega drivers, or at least I am trying to...

After install, pc needs to reboot, & then upon reboot it sees new hardware & wants to install the vid drivers again. I guess there is some traces of the original drivers left in the system.

How do I fix? I am guessing the easy way would be to do a system restore? & then try to install the omega drivers?
Old 26 Apr 2007, 11:11 AM   #215
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

I would think that would be the easiest to do is to roll it back to before you loaded the drivers.
doctorhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 05:03 AM   #216
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Well, I guess I beat this one enough; Did a sys. restore, tried to re-install the omega drivers. During install it asks me for SP2 disk, which I insert & then it says it is the incorrect disc.

This OS is a slipstreamed install, but I did a standard install when I created it, I really didn't remove anything except a few games, etc.

The final result is that the pc needs to reboot, & when it restarts, the drivers are not installed. So, to make it easy, I just installed the regular nvidia drivers. Any more suggestions?
Old 27 Apr 2007, 05:19 AM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzdvd View Post
Well, I guess I beat this one enough; Did a sys. restore, tried to re-install the omega drivers. During install it asks me for SP2 disk, which I insert & then it says it is the incorrect disc.

This OS is a slipstreamed install, but I did a standard install when I created it, I really didn't remove anything except a few games, etc.

The final result is that the pc needs to reboot, & when it restarts, the drivers are not installed. So, to make it easy, I just installed the regular nvidia drivers. Any more suggestions?
Do the reboot and install teh drivers.
Omega's driver install first installs the software and "places" the drivers for for installation in a folder.
Once you reboot, it then installs the drivers for teh vid card.
Budreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Apr 2007, 05:31 AM   #218
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Once you reboot, it then installs the drivers for teh vid card.
As per my previous post, that doesn't happen in my case After the reboot, desktop appears, install doesn't continue...
Old 28 Apr 2007, 08:02 AM   #219
Super Moderator

Do not install Nvidia Omega drivers, AFAIK they have not been maintained for a few years (and the official ones 6 long months!). The official ones are "OK" after disabling one or two msconfig entries.

anonymez is offline   Reply With Quote