gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
add this line to the end:

Code:
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ gutsy main restricted
and save & close. Run

Code:
sudo apt-get update
Code:
sudo apt-get -y install linux linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic linux-restricted-modules-generic
Now the new kernel is installed (alongside your original one), so remove the repository from the list by running:

Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
deleting that last line and save. Run

Code:
sudo apt-get update
And reboot. The new kernel should be an option at boot. If recording still doesn't work, then something else is hosed.

anonymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2007, 10:36 AM   #317
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
And reboot. The new kernel should be an option at boot.
Is this an option that I am supposed to be able to choose from when booting? I rebooted & didn't get that, it just rebooted normally like always does.

Anyway, the recording didn't work I tried audacity first, settings to OSS & ALSA, both ways. When set to ALSA, I get;

"Error while opening sound device. Please check the input device settings & the project sample rate."

GNUSound sends the pc back to the login screen when trying to run that. Don't know what else to do; Heck, I didn't even understand what I've done this far!
katzdvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2007, 04:03 AM   #318
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymez View Post
Great choice-- I have a BFG 7900GT OC. Nvidia has far better Linux drivers than ATI.
http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...32&newsLang=en

the penguin may get a powerful ally
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Sep 2007, 04:18 AM   #319
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
With the forthcoming Catalyst 7.9 software release in September, AMD will add Linux support for the ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 series of graphics processors. The Radeon HD 2000 series offer a number of compelling new features for Linux users including AMD’s patented unified shader architecture.
A lot of linux user will be happy to hear that. And more companies to follow after that, hopefully?

Beware, Leopard Seal!
Old 24 Oct 2007, 05:02 AM   #320
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Just an update here; Installed 7.10 in hopes that the sound capture issue would be resolved - it wasn't. Same issue as all along. I ran the tests under sound preferences, & sound capture fails, no matter which audio device I enable. I guess it is a hardware issue with my system. I did have an old creative sound card lying around, which I installed & linux didn't recognize it.

Was suggested to me to try ubuntu studio; I did that, after some quirky install issues (the vid. card, nvidia chipset gave me some problems) but did get it rolling finally. The system is a tad "slower" now, maybe because of the "bloat" of studio? Or maybe because there is other things going on because of the issue I had at first install with the vid. card.

At any rate, audio capture still does not work. I have this issue posted on 6 different Linux forums, sound issues are common, esp. capturing...it seems. My options at this point;

Install another sound card(s) in hopes that one will eventually work
Dual boot w/ win xp
Dump this OS & don't look back

Not my intention to "bash" this OS, but I feel honesty is important with this situation; Others should have an idea what they may be in for if they decide to jump on board with the penguin.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 11:47 AM   #321
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

I really believe that it has to be a card driver issue, I would try the card in another machine to see if the OS is the real issue. Just a humble thought.
Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.
doctorhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 11:52 AM   #322
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

This mobo has onboard sound; I have tried an older soundblaster in this pc, but it wasn't recognized.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 12:01 PM   #323
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

It is probably an ac 97 compatible, I issuses wit the one on my wife computer,the mic level is very low, going to try a different mic first the a new audio card. Think it is a driver issue, she was downloading drivers from WOW,then the audio card quit working. What a real pia.
doctorhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 09:24 AM   #324
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Posted this all over the linux forums - Got some suggestions, but no one has been able to fix. Sound issues seem to be a big hassle with linux.

I am unable to capture any audio stream; From radio station websites, or what I am playing through the speakers, etc. I can hear everything just fine, but can't record anything, using a program such as audacity, etc.I have an ASUS A8V-VM SE mainboard w/ onboard sound.

When I do a test for sound capture in sound preferences, this is what I get; No matter which device I choose under capture, I still get the same error. Does this make sense to anyone?

Fortunately, everything else seems to work! Several different printers, networking is a breeze, even my Canon Powershot G5 is recognized when I plug it in & I am able to easily transfer & edit pics. I haven't tried capturing any vid yet from a vcr/dvd player/camcorder. I should try that... YAY! Thank God for small miracles, I guess.
Old 8 Nov 2007, 01:56 PM   #325
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

PROBLEM SOLVED! Turns out linux didn't really care for my onboard sound card. I installed a Diamond 7.1, sound capture works now, Finally!

However, I just now found that my Canon G5 Powershot Camera will not transfer pics. It worked in the 7.04 vers. just fine, but not in 7.10.

Back to the drawing board