Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > General Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2012, 09:28 PM   #1
NOT an online superstore

Default Using a PS3 with Component/Composite

I'm just curious, I know there are component cables for PS3 (I have one), and I lost my original composite cable.

My Xbox 360 came with a cable that has a switch on it between TV and HDTV, and had all 6 plugs, the yellow/red/white plus the 3 component plugs.

Is there something similar for PS3? Right now I'm using HDMI, but due to it using HDCP, in order to record gameplay I need to use a component cable instead. And it would be nice to have the composite option just so I can take it to friends' houses and not need to worry if their TV will support it.

I did find one on Buy.com that has all 6 plugs, but no switch to speak of... so how does that work? If you set it to 720p or higher, does it just break the yellow plug? The only official Sony ones I can find are component cables - all the composite ones are generic replacements.

--EDIT--

http://www.buy.com/prod/playstation-...207873840.html
That, specifically.

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀šŰǹt̉ếř
Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
My DVD Collection

Last edited by drfsupercenter; 19 Nov 2012 at 09:39 PM
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Administrator

There is a component cable for the PS3, this is the official Sony one:

Amazon.com: PS3 Component AV Cable: Video Games

This cable only does component (red, green, blue for video), not composite (yellow for video), so that's why there's no switch (it only has 5 cables, not 6 like the Xbox 360 adapter).

The one on Buy.com is probably not the official cable, and probably includes the composite along with the component. I would guess that it outputs to both types of video outputs at the same time, so there's no need for a switch to switch between the two types.
Old 20 Nov 2012, 04:03 AM   #3
NOT an online superstore

So the system can actually handle outputting 480i via composite AND 720p (or 1080i) via component through the same cable at the same time?

For the Xbox 360, you have to pick.

Also, am I correct in assuming that the PS3 won't do 1080p via component? I know it's not really supported by the component standard, but the Xbox 360 will do it, provided your TV can understand the signal. And my new capture card will recognize it as well. (Though the Xbox 360 doesn't use HDCP so I'm just using HDMI, it's easier.)
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Administrator

I think there's a system setting that switches between the various output types. I think if you hold the power button just after starting up the machine, it resets the output to the default (probably composite if it does not detect a plugged in HDMI cable).

There's no 1080p support via component, but there's 1080i.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote