Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > General Computing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2011, 09:43 AM   #1
guy on the couch

Default W7 Screeching and Icons blurry

I just did a fresh install of windows on a brand new HD and 2 mobo which i swapped out but when windows starts the welcome sound is screechy with what sounds like feedback. Also the icons are blurry with lines in them. When i play music there is a lot of feedback also.

Is it the RAM? I have swapped it out with with 3 different 2gb sticks. REALLY REALLY frustrated this point. almost broke the keyboard

However sometimes (rarely) it will log on and the sound is perfect and no lines.
joe
jlohojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Apr 2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Administrator

Are you using onboard sound and graphics? Could be a problem with the motherboard. Before confirming a hardware problem, try installing the latest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website (they should have the latest onboard GPU and sound card drivers, or if you use a dedicated GPU, get the latest drivers from Nvidia/AMD/Intel).

To completely rule out a Windows 7 problem, try burning a Linux live CD (eg. Ubuntu), log into that and if you get the same video and audio problems, then I think you can safely say it's a hardware issue (do just check and make sure the connections, both outside the PC, and inside, are not loose, before you replace any hardware).

Normally RAM problems means your system crashes or locks randomly, and you can always use Windows 7's memory tester to rule out a memory related problem:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...-your-computer
Old 17 Apr 2011, 02:31 PM   #3
guy on the couch

well i tested the memory and it checked out fine. also swapped it out with some others I am using a powercolor radeon 5450 card. which i have also swapped out with a similar MSI 5450 card. All video and audio comings from HDMI from 5450 card

Had the ASUS mobo RMA'ed and still the same problem. I have also had the same problem with 2 different W7 installs on 2 different hard drives.

The only thing I havent swapped out or replaced is the CPU its an AMD Phenom II quad. It did have a bent pin but i bent it back and seems fine.

It seriously sounds like feedback or screeching sounds and the icon lines are blurred really bad. Going out of my MIND. Please Please help
Old 17 Apr 2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Administrator

Have you tried the Linux Live CD, just to rule out a software issue with W7?

I would also look at your power plug, because this also could be due to electrical interference. If possible, try and plug the PC directly to a wall plug (use a single socketed extension cord if it can't reach there), or try a different powerboard. If you have one of those wall plugs with two different sockets, I would just try plugging the monitor into one, and the PC into the other, and then see if the problem goes away.

If it does not, then the next item I would investigate would be the power supply. It's always the last thing people diagnose, even though it's actually one of the most likely parts to fail.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2011, 11:06 PM   #5
guy on the couch

I have not tried the linux cd will do that today. As far as the power i have had it upstairs and down trying to diagnose so its been plugged into several outlets and the cable itself is in good shape. I have another power supply i will swap mine with. I would of never thought that would be a problem but we will see. I also unistalled all my codec packs to make sure they werent causing the problem and still nothing.

check list
mobo fine
RAM fine
HD fine
W7 fine
video card fine
PSU ?
CPU ?
Old 18 Apr 2011, 06:32 AM   #6
guy on the couch

ADMIN

thanks for all your help think i might of figured part of the problem out. when i have the core unlocker on my AMP Phenom II 3.2 and unlock all 4 cores is when the sound gets a screechy and the feedback starts why would that be. As for the lines through the icons it is still messed up even if i have 1 core going.

Why is this and is there a way to have them running and the system be stable. Windows 7 runs fine other than the sound and the lines when all 4 cores are on.

Whats the point of having that feature when you cant use it. I have even tried turning a couple of the cores on but to no avail. any suggestions

joe
Old 19 Apr 2011, 01:06 AM   #7
Administrator

I've actually seen one post somewhere (not on this forum) that talked about using the core unlocker, and having strange graphic distortions. I don't know how it was resolved, but I would start with making sure the CPU specs are back to factory, no overclock, no unlocked cores, as it appears pushing the CPU too hard may cause problems like this (there was also some mention of power supply related issues ... obviously enabling more cores is going to use more power, and your PSU might just not be able to handle it).

To make sure your power supply is up to it, I like to use this handy psu calculator, which estimates the size of the psu you need given your other hardware:

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

You did mention the CPU had bent pins, and I'm just wondering if you still can't find the culprit, whether changing the CPU (and this time, keep it in factory condition, at least while you install Windows) might be the only course of action left ...
admin is offline   Reply With Quote