Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > Latest News > Community News and Announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Nov 2003, 06:50 PM   #1
Administrator

Default New Forum Rules

I've been holding back until I have some free time, but I have decided (actually quite a while ago) that this forum will now have a few new rules, which will specifically affect the P2P forum.

First of all, the P2P forum will be closed. This is because people are apparently confused about the purpose of the P2P forum, which is only for discussing topics related to digital video downloaded from P2P or similar sources. Topics related to P2P only (eg. "which P2P software is the best") is not related to digital video, and should therefore be in the off-topics forum. Make no mistake, Digital Video Forum is for, perhaps to the surprise of some, the discussion of digital video related topics. The off-topics forum is a bonus (for those that have contributed more than 50 posts, to let them let off some steam and get away from digital video for a while).

So what will happen to the topics related to digital video downloaded from P2P or similar sources?

The short answer is that they will be deleted from the forum, simply because technically, these post break already existing rules regarding piracy. So basically, the following type of posts will be deleted :
  1. If you mention the name of a pirated movie (eg. "I downloaded Matrix_Reloaded_Screener_1.avi"), then this post will be deleted.
  2. If you mention that you downloaded a movie (a full movie, not a movie file) from an online/file sharing source without specifying it was legal (eg. "I downloaded a movie from Kazza")

Because a lot of people refer to any sort of video file as a "movie file" (and these files may not contain "full movies"), the following posts are acceptable, and should be posted in their respective forums (eg. DivX - Encoding) :
  1. If you only mention a video file (eg. "I downloaded an AVI file from Kazza" or "I downloaded a movie file from Kazza").
  2. If you don't mention you got the movie from a P2P source (eg. "I have downloaded a movie" or "I have a movie and I want to burn it as a VCD")

I know these differences seem trivial, or pedantic, but just pretend that the MPAA or law enforcement is monitoring everything you post here (and they probably are), and post in a manner which won't get you sued.

I have not yet formally made these changes, but they will be in effect in a week or so, once I have made the necessary changes to the rules page.

Please post your comments/rant/hate-filled-insults in this thread.

Last edited by admin; 23 Mar 2006 at 04:12 PM
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2003, 07:30 PM   #2
Old member

I knew we did not technically require a P2P forum, though it is sad to know that the forum is going away.
Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Nov 2003, 11:25 PM   #3
Administrator

Forgot to add that this P2P forum will be closed, and the existing posts will still be here for reference.
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:27 AM   #4

Nice one.

If it keeps the mpaa away, then go for it.

I was thinking of making another sticky for the p2p forum to STRESS the rules once again, but oh well

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html
gd_nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote