Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Archived Posts > Latest News (Archive)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2005, 04:28 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Cable TV on the Move

In 2002, Blake Krikorian and his brother Jason were beside themselves. Their beloved San Francisco Giants were in a pennant race, yet Blake and Jason, two Silicon Valley engineers, were traveling so much that they missed many of the games on television.

Desperate, they signed up for a service that offered live audio and video of the games over the Internet, only to find that subscribers from San Francisco could not watch Giants games because of blackout restrictions.

The idea for Slingbox was born. The Krikorians decided to find a way to let cable and satellite television customers watch what was on their home televisions while they were on the road. After several years developing the product, their company, Sling Media, released its first boxes in July.

"I was paying $80 a month to Comcast, and I have a broadband pipe in my house and all these other displays," Blake Krikorian said. "So why can't I just watch the TV coming into our house?" Credit and more info: CNet News

Last edited by jmet; 4 Jan 2006 at 09:17 AM