Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Archived Posts > Latest News (Archive)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 31 Dec 2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Copyright protection: How far will Sony go?

After the firestorm kicked off by Sony's use of rootkit cloaking technology in CDs to prevent piracy, you might think other media firms would never consider such intrusive methods. But some observers believe the controversy may just lead studios to push for anticopying measures that are hard-wired into your system.

This conflict between users who want to control what goes on inside their PCs and media companies that want to protect their content is not likely to abate so long as the companies try to control CD copying, says Gartner research director Mike McGuire.

Since studios are unlikely to give up copy protection, he believes music firms may now redouble their efforts to get companies like Microsoft and Intel to build copy protection right into computers.

Meanwhile, if studios persist in using technology like XCP, then PC and device makers may turn hostile toward such media firms' interests--especially if PC vendors end up fielding more support calls due to buggy copy-protection software, McGuire says.

Sony is reviewing its copy-protection tactics (the company declined to comment for this story). But "there will be copy protection," says Helene Blue, president of Helene Blue Musique, an independent music publisher. Sony's big mistake was bringing out XCP without sufficient testing, Blue says, a mistake the firm seems unlikely to repeat after its embarrassment over XCP.

Mark Russinovich, chief software architect with Winternals Software LP, took a hard look at XPC (created by First 4 Internet, a British firm) after playing a Sony XPC CD on his machine and encountering problems. He found that Sony's digital rights management scheme not only used technology typically employed by hackers, but it was designed in such a way that virus writers could hide their software with it, he says; he drew attention to the matter on his blog. His prediction came true--Trojan horse programs exploiting XCP began appearing on the Net soon after the problem was revealed.

Several security programs now treat Sony's XCP as a threat, and the firm has recalled all XCP CDs. MediaMax, another CD copy protection program used by Sony, has its own security problems. It can create a hole through which malicious agents can access affected Windows PCs. To protect themselves, Sony advises users to patch the software. Sony also faces both a lawsuit brought by the Texas Attorney General and another filed by the Electronic Frontier Foundation over XCP.

Russinovich worries that we will still end up with invasive copy protection that runs roughshod over PCs, bogging down performance. "What I'm afraid of is that, after this is all said and done, the software is going to still be aggressive, and they'll just cover themselves by putting disclosure in the EULA [end user license agreement]," he says. Credit: PC World

Is XCP Running on Your System?

To find out if Sony's invasive DRM software is in your PC, Mark Russinovich advises users to choose Run from the Start menu, then type the following into the box that appears: cmd /k sc query $sys$aries. If the response is 'STATE: 4 RUNNING', you have the software. If you see, instead, 'The specified service does not exist as an installed service,' then you're clean. (Note that only Windows systems are vulnerable.)

Edit: Here is a website that list all CD's with XCP. (Thanks to the member uufta for informing me about this site) - http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/titles.html

Last edited by jmet; 29 Mar 2006 at 06:01 AM
Old 31 Dec 2005, 05:56 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Me t00!
Old 31 Dec 2005, 08:35 PM   #4
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

me too

Can i say this........ mostly because of Klite Pro
or not
Old 1 Jan 2006, 05:34 AM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm clean too.

Thanks for the info Jmet.
________
VAPOR TOWER VAPORIZER

Last edited by jwo62; 7 Mar 2011 at 04:58 PM
Old 2 Jan 2006, 06:09 AM   #6
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Feels good to be clean.

Thanks for heads-up Jmet
Old 2 Jan 2006, 10:08 PM   #7
BR7
He is coming to your little town!

I am squeaky clean thanks jmet

My Blu-ray Collection
Old 3 Jan 2006, 02:05 AM   #8
Just Trying To Help

I'm clean and truly appreciate the heads up jmet thank you.
Old 8 Jan 2006, 09:35 PM   #9
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

I'm clean! How would you get XCP? What can we do to remain clean?
Old 9 Jan 2006, 07:14 AM   #10

I'm clean too! Is XCP built into your system, downloaded through a Microsoft update, or from copying a CD?
Old 9 Jan 2006, 01:49 PM   #11

I'm clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by codajohn
I'm clean! How would you get XCP? What can we do to remain clean?
That's what I wanna know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrit
I'm clean too! Is XCP built into your system, downloaded through a Microsoft update, or from copying a CD?
Well, its not built into your system.. obviously. If it's downloaded through a Microsoft update they have to give a detailed description of what is being installed on your computer. Same goes for copying a CD.
Old 10 Jan 2006, 07:43 AM   #12
Im Off To See The Wizard

im clean think i will create a restore point. why cant they just leave us alone?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 12:04 AM   #13

Thanks JMET . I'm clean too!!
Old 17 Jan 2006, 05:37 PM   #14

I am new. I have downloaded dvd43, now how do I use it? When I try to open it it says" idle 1/1 video dvds detected. But that is it. What now?
Old 18 Jan 2006, 08:22 AM   #15
Banned

I am clean too

If your computer is infected by this Sony home grown BS.

Both Sony and Microsoft have tools to remove it from your computer.
I would use the Microsoft version and not the Sony version to remove it from my computer. I read this somewhere, but I can not remember the web site location or I would pass it on.

If you know a "hacker" check with him/her they know the URL location.