|6 May 2014, 03:59 PM||#1|
Join Date: May 2014
Comprehensive comparision of 1080p Handbrake transcoding : CPU vs Haswell QuickSync
I am planning to get a new i5 4570 (or 4670) system for 1080p transcoding. I am not interested in GPU assisted transcoding. My focus is on haswell based QuickSync assisted Handbrake.
I have observed that most benchmarks/articles available were not transparent about certain points -
1) What performance settings were used? I had tested a i5 2500k using Handbrake, x.264(i.e. CPU only) at QRF of 21, 'slow' preset and high profile. Found about 8.2 FPS!! So I guess those benchmarks either use 'faster' or even 'very fast' settings in their 'CPU only' tests. It was also not mentioned what QuickSync settings were used. I heard that haswell QS supports 7 performance vs quality settings. Does it supports any other parameters?
2) Which source format : 1080i or p? And what was the target dimension? Sometimes they use DVD, sometimes iphone profile. It would be useful to know the FPS for 1080p to 1080p conversion (even 720p would be fine, but should be clearly mentioned. The FPS for 1080p would be approx 3 times less).
3) What was the clip length? Many graphs depict the time in seconds, but forget to mention the clip length! So whats the point? Mentioning FPS rather could resolve this confusion.
5) A VITAL POINT part most reviewers miss is the SCREENSHOTs or CLIPs to compare. Without these, how could one get convinced? We are hearing that Haswell QS x.264 is BETTER that CPU only Handbrake x.264.
6) Again on processor side, most reviewers just use 4th gen. i7 or other latest CPUs. Reviews should focus on worst case. If not, at least on medium case. So 4th Gen i5 or i3 should also be included.
Can anybody provide us with such an comprehensive comparison which will help many users like me, to settle all doubts for good.
Thx so much in advance...
|1080p, benchmark, handbrake, haswell, quicksync|
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Handbrake help||robertbiferi||MP4, MKV, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)||63||25 Feb 2012 02:19 AM|
|Handbrake and Progressive Output||Rau||MP4, MKV, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264)||0||18 Dec 2011 05:20 PM|
|Convert .m2ts with Handbrake||Feterb||Other File Formats||4||14 Nov 2011 01:01 PM|
|The Best Way to Backup Dvd or Comparision of different programms to backup DVD||maxidrom11||General Discussions||4||28 Jan 2005 08:05 AM|