Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > TMPGEnc

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 6 Oct 2009, 07:53 AM   #1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Choppy picture when using ffdShow codec???

Hey guys:

I am trying to use ffdshow as my codec for converting avi's to mpg's using TMPGEnc 2.5 Xpress. I have been doing this conversion for a really long time and I know I am not making mistakes with the settings in TMPGEnc.

Are there settings in ffdshow that will correct this problem? If not, I am going to have to dump it.

I also have haali media splitter, avisynth, and Koepi's Xvid codec on my machine. I was using just Koepi's codec and all was well until I loaded up the the other 3 programs. I have had this problem in the past and I can never figure out how to fix it.

Thanks

Last edited by jwmghf; 6 Oct 2009 at 08:11 AM
Old 6 Oct 2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Eclectician

When you say 2.5 express do you mean TMPGEnc 2.5 Plus? That's what I've used. I've never tried the express. You don't say what the error is, but if ffdshow doesn't work at all it's usually the priority setting in TMPGEnc. Click on Option=>Environment Setting=>VFAPI Plugin Tab. Make sure Direct Show Multimedia File Reader is at the top.

When you open TMPGEnc if the wizard comes up just click Cancel to get it out of the way. Then you can set the options.

Here's a page with a bunch of guides:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/TMPGEnc_Xpress

scroll down to the part where it says "Guides and Howtos"
Old 6 Oct 2009, 09:36 AM   #3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey MilesAhead:

Yeah, I meant TMPGEnc Plus 2.5. And yes the DirectShow Multimedia File Reader is at the top with a Priority of 2. I'll check out the guides but I am probably going to just dump those other programs. This happens to me every time I decide to try out ffdShow. It's a bummer.
Old 6 Oct 2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Eclectician

edit: ok, now I see "choppy picture" is the issue.. with TMPGEnc lots of times the .avi won't even load if there's a problem.

You might want to take a look at some tools that are driven by AviSynth scripts. There are pages of filters that help correct funky video. Here's one page:
http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/

To get started with AviSynth it's a good idea to use a program that generates a script. For example FitCD or d2mp. If you have a basic script you know will at least do the conversion correctly then you can tweak from there, adding a filter here and there to see if you can clean up the input as it's processed.

d2mp comes with some synth libraries. You can try just using d2mp and see how it comes out. For tweaks, use it as normal, then abort the processing and just copy the AviSynth script from the log output.

Last edited by MilesAhead; 6 Oct 2009 at 10:14 AM