Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Authoring and Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2 Oct 2014, 11:48 AM   #1

Question Copying and burning episodes from my dvds

This may or may not be in the right area..if it's not, forgive me!

I have several tv series and would like to rip particular episodes and put them onto separate disks, so I don't have to wade through episodes that I don't care to watch. Is there a beginner and/or intermediate guide going step by step to do this with dvd shrink ver 3.2?
ladygonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Oct 2014, 05:10 PM   #2

Default Yes you can

I have done exactly what you want to do. I did it with another series. DVD Shrink will break the disc into individual episodes, perhaps 4 episodes per disc. Recode the episodes you want to keep as .iso files with Shrink and put them into a folder on the HD. You will need a program to mount each episode onto a virtual drive. I use Alcohol 120 which does a fine job for me. It is not that expensive. Once I figured it out it is easy to use. The virtual drives will show up as DVD drives when clicking on the My Computer icon. There are other virtual drive programs out there and some are free but I am happy with what I have. Mount the episodes, one to each virtual drive with Alcohol. You can now pick them up with Shrink using the Open File and Reauthor buttons adding files one at a time onto Shrink. The drives will be found in the upper right part of the Shrink screen. You should analyze all the episodes to be placed on one disc together, then encode them as .iso files. They can now be burned to disc with Nero. I have found that Shrink will fit 4 one hour episodes on a DVD5 disc with very little video quality loss. There is a good article on doing all this on the Doom9 website. The link is Doom9_net-joining-2-discs_files. It speaks specifically about DVD Shrink. Good luck
George Schoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Oct 2014, 12:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the info......I'll try it this way and see what the result for me will be.....
ladygonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Oct 2014, 12:06 AM   #4
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schoen View Post
Recode the episodes you want to keep as .iso files with Shrink and put them into a folder on the HD. You will need a program to mount each episode onto a virtual drive.
IMO, it is not necessary to save the temp episodes as ISO files. You can save them in different folders too. That means that you don't need an ISO mounter program, since you can access the files directly. It is sufficient to browse to the DVD folder during the next step, with the DVD Browser pane of DVDShrink in re-author mode.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote