Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > General > Latest News

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Administrator

Default Music Piracy Down by 80% Thanks to Spotify, New Report

Music piracy is Norway has been reduced by more than 80%, and film and TV piracy down by half, according to a new report. And it has all to do with legal alternatives like Spotify and Netflix.

The new report by Norwegian research body Ipsos MMI looked at piracy rates in 2008 and 2012, and found a dramatic decrease in illegal downloads in these 4 years.

Music piracy soared to 1.2 billion downloads in 2008 just in Norway alone, but is now at a manageable 210 million in 212, a sixth of what it used to be. Film piracy went from 125 million downloads to 65 million, while TV downloads were down to 55 million from 135 million.

Norway's recent introduction of stronger copyright laws might have influenced results somewhat, but according to the report, the decline is mostly down to the emergence of legal alternatives like Spotify.

"When you have a good legitimate offer, the people will use it," explained Olav Torvund, a former law professor at the University of Oslo.

To confirm the important role of market-led solutions to the piracy problem, the report surveyed users asking if they used the popular music streaming platform Spotify. 47% of users said that they did, and amazingly, half of these users said they paid for a premium Spotify account.

"There is no excuse for illegal copying, but when you get an offer that does not cost too much and is easy to use, it is less interesting to download illegally," added Torvund.

The introduction of Netflix in October of 2012 to Norway could see film and TV piracy rates drop even further when the statistics for 2013 are available.
Old 21 Jul 2013, 01:20 AM   #2
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Just proves to give people what they are wanting at a reasonable price and you win. These numbers are proof.

PurpleDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jul 2013, 01:44 PM   #3
NOT an online superstore

Still waiting on a legal lossless music downloading service

Some independent labels (The FuMP, DFTBA, etc) offer it, I've bought several albums from them in FLAC, but I'm thinking more of the big name stuff.

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀šŰǹt̉ếř
Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
My DVD Collection
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Digital Video Expert
Digital Video Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfsupercenter View Post
Still waiting on a legal lossless music downloading service

Some independent labels (The FuMP, DFTBA, etc) offer it, I've bought several albums from them in FLAC, but I'm thinking more of the big name stuff.
You do have to admit, things are changing even slowly, but changing for what the consumer wants too.
PurpleDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2013, 09:02 AM   #5
NOT an online superstore

I dunno about that, look at "mastered for iTunes"... it sounded like a great idea, having studios make 24-bit recordings, but they still get compressed down to 256kbps AAC which is far from perfect.
drfsupercenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Sep 2013, 08:37 PM   #6

Do the artists even notice the difference between spotify and illegal downloading? An artist earns about 0.4 cents per play (I'm not sure whether that's before or after the label takes it's cut, but I suspect after).

It's the reason Thom Yorke took the Atoms for Peace album off Spotify.
CP1381 is offline   Reply With Quote