Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Other > Archive (Closed) > Other Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20 Dec 2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Default Divx authoring questions

I wanted to burn xvid videos into divx/xvid format so they can be played in DVD-video style on DVD players that support divx, i was using Nero Vision for this but I lost alot of quality from converting the xvid to DVD format.

So,I am trying out DivX author and TMPEGEnc Author 4 although they seem 2 be practically the same software.

But in these 2 programs, I cant seem to add, create new menu's and buttons like I can on Nero. And I cant seem to delete thumbnails and or other menu items like I could in Nero Vision. Am I missing something? or dont these software(s) support that?
Old 20 Dec 2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Administrator

If your DVD player supports DivX/XviD, you can just burn the XviD/DivX/AVI file to DVD as a standard file, and your player should pick it up and play - there should not be any conversion involved. Use Nero Burning ROM or any CD/DVD burner software to burn an UDF+ISO disc.

Now, if you actually want to convert DivX/XviD to DVD, then check out our articles/guides section for various video to DVD conversion guides, including guides for TMPGEnc DVD Author (the guide is for version 3 though):

http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ategory-2.html
Old 20 Dec 2010, 09:45 PM   #3

yes I know I can burn the files as a data files onto disc, but I want to create menu's etc like a DVD video disc using abilities like Nero Vision offers, e.g. adding/deleting extra menu pages, moving menu items around etc. TMPENc and DVD Author dont have these abilites although they allow me to burn xvid/divx like a DVD style video.
Old 20 Dec 2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Administrator

DivX Author is the same as TDA, except with the DVD authoring part removed (so only DivX authoring). Most players don't support DivX style menus though, unless it is DivX Ultra certified (check your DVD player). If it is, then you can actually create DVD like menus with DivX files, without having to convert to the DVD.

Both Nero Vision and TDA can be limited in terms of what you can do with menus, since they mostly rely on pre-made templates that you change. I have written a guide for TDA 3, which covers some basic editing, but you're still really stuck with the layout that TDA gives you:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page1.html

If you want a real DVD authoring tool that allows you to create menus in exactly the way you want them to be, then you need something like DVD-lab Pro or Womble EasyDVD, guides below:

Last edited by admin; 20 Dec 2010 at 10:45 PM