Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Encoding and Playback

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10 Nov 2006, 03:32 PM   #1

Default Pale and unreal colors when playing video files

In the last few days I have been having problems whether I play mpeg files, or home made DVDs, or even with regular purchased movie DVDs. Every time I try to play these, the colors are really pale, almost b/w, as if the red color is missing. Not only I experience it with every media type, the same happens when I use another external DVD burner/writer. I have tried to update the driver/s for the videocard, to no avail. The only thing which changed in the last few weeks is that my son is playing a PC Game (Total War - Rome) on my PC. Could that be the culprit? I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanking you.
boonetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Queen of Digital Video
Queen of Digital Video

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Is it just on your computer that your videos are playing like this.
Or
Do they play like that on a stand alone player as well?

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **
photo_angel2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2006, 03:42 PM   #3

Thank you for your very quick reply. To answer your query: I have just tried my computer at home. The last time (a week ago) I tried my HP DVD movie writer with my work computer, and it worked perfectly. I think the problem has to be with my computer, since the color (or rather lack of color) is the same whether I am playing an mpeg file from the hard drive, or a DVD through the optical drive.
Old 10 Nov 2006, 11:41 PM   #4

One other important thing (as my 10 y old son pointed out): the colors seen on the video are all OPPOSITE colors. That's why they appeared weird. I would be grateful for any suggestion from anyone.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 01:26 AM   #5
Demigod of Digital Video

have you tried a system restore?
"You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
(An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

LT. Columbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2006, 09:29 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have tried to update the driver/s for the videocard, to no avail
update directx (it's probably already up to date if you've installed rome though), and try an older version of drivers, run driver cleaner as well. which graphics card?

anonymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2006, 11:10 AM   #7

Dear Lt Columbo and Anonymez. Many thanks for the suggestions. Actually, early this morning before I checked your replies, I did do the system restore [to a month earlier check point], and it WORKED!!! So thank you both very much. May I also take this opportunity to ask another question. For a few months now my Windows Media Player 10 has NOT been able to play mpeg files (in the past it always could). My PowerDVD program however, can play these without any problem. There is just a black screen, and no video. DVDs however CAN be played. It is like this since I installed and uninstalled some free DVD editor programs. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 11:26 AM   #8
Just Trying To Help

I would suggest using Media Player Classic or VLC both free.

soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2006, 12:16 PM   #9

Dear Soup, many thanks for the great suggestions. I have downloaded the Media Player Classic, and it works GREAT!! Wow! Thank you!! It does not install as a separate program though, but a quick click on the .exe file opens it up.
Old 11 Nov 2006, 12:23 PM   #10
Demigod of Digital Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonetrace View Post
Dear Lt Columbo and Anonymez. Many thanks for the suggestions. Actually, early this morning before I checked your replies, I did do the system restore [to a month earlier check point], and it WORKED!!! So thank you both very much. May I also take this opportunity to ask another question. For a few months now my Windows Media Player 10 has NOT been able to play mpeg files (in the past it always could). My PowerDVD program however, can play these without any problem. There is just a black screen, and no video. DVDs however CAN be played. It is like this since I installed and uninstalled some free DVD editor programs. I would be grateful for any suggestions.
excellent news, now you just need to decide a suitable punishment for your boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonetrace View Post
Dear Soup, many thanks for the great suggestions. I have downloaded the Media Player Classic, and it works GREAT!! Wow! Thank you!! It does not install as a separate program though, but a quick click on the .exe file opens it up.
great advice by soup, MPC is widely used here by many of us. you are right about not needing an install either. you can even play your dvd's with it instead of power dvd, that's what i have been doing for a while now. don't be a stranger to the forum

LT. Columbo is offline   Reply With Quote