Digital Video Forums

Go Back   Digital Video Forums > Disc Formats > DVD Blank Media, Burning, Recording Hardware

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 4 Aug 2005, 04:08 AM   #1

Default Burning on Fake TYG02

Some time back I purchased a 50 pack of Fry's Brand GQ DVD-R 8x media. The MID is TYG02. I use DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO image using the default burning engine. 3 out of 4 of these media would end up as coasters (not readable or heavily pixilated) even at 4x. I tried about 30 of the dics total so far. The concensus at various forums was that this stuff was fake. Branded media (Verbatim 16x -R and TY 8x +R) burn fine even at rated speeds. (burner is Plex 716A, F.W. 1.06)

Recently I burned several images using the latest Nero Recode, first at 4x, then at 8x. No problems at all!!

Yesterday I burned 5 new ISO images on the fake media using Nero, but by accident the burn speed was MAX (16x) at the burn time was ~5 mins. To my amazment, the all the discs played fine on all my players.

Could anyone explain this? I don't know what burning engine Nero uses. Could the difference be the burning engines?

Best Regards

Old system: IC7G-maxII, dual channel 512Meg, HT; 2.8P4; Plex 716A - F.W. 1.10; ICH5R Raid0; SilImg RAID0.
gary172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Aug 2005, 06:47 AM   #2
Lord of Digital Video
Lord of Digital Video

sometimes burning at a lower speed can help but I've also heard of the same experience that you had. I myself usually burn at the max speed
tigerman8u is offline   Reply With Quote