Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the pooper
    • Mar 2004

XviD B-Frames

Can someone explain to me, or point me to an explanation, of what XviD's alternative is to DivX's packed bitstream?

The unoffical XviD FAQ says that if you are always decoding with XviD then you never have to bother with packed bitstream.

But I've noticed that when I do not use packed bitstream there seem to be certain places where two frames share the same position. For instance, using the arrow keys in VDub to advance single frames, if I advance forward to n from some position before n then I will see a frame from scene 1. But if I advance backward to n from some position after n then I will see a frame from scene 2.

So I'd appreciate it if someone would be willing to explain the general idea to me and perhaps an explanation for this odd effect.
  • Soulhunter
    • Mar 2004

Dont wanna explain how packed bitstream works...

Coz it should be enough for you to know that its VDub's fault !!!

Bye

Member of E.V.I.L. Corp. 2003 ® - Website in progress...

Comment

• the pooper
      • Mar 2004

Dont wanna explain how packed bitstream works...
      Well that's fine because that's not what I asked for.

Coz it should be enough for you to know that its VDub's fault !!!
      From what little I understand, I believe it is in fact the AVI container that has trouble supporting b-frames. It has nothing at all to do with VDub.

Comment

• Soulhunter
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by the pooper
        Well that's fine because that's not what I asked for.
        Fine, but to understand this stuff you should know...

Read the stuff below !!!

From what little I understand, I believe it is in fact the AVI container that has trouble supporting b-frames. It has nothing at all to do with VDub.
        Gah, fault in the meaning of "It does not evade it" !!!

Im leazy, so I explain it simply with some quotes...
        Originally posted by the sysKin @ Doom9's
        The difference is "packing": first b-frame is packed together (in an avi) with its future reference (a p-frame most likely). Future reference is transmitted first because it has to be decoded first, but the frame you actually want to *see* is the b-frame. So, packing delivers the b-frame immediately, so it can also be decoded and shown on time.

Without packing, decoder gets future reference, but has to wait for the b-frame before it can display anything. This creates a one-frame lag, which makes such avi difficult to seek in (for example) virtualdub.
        Originally posted by the sysKin @ Doom9's
        In VDub's case, it's VfW interface that gives problems: it doesn't allow decoder to read future frames, even if decoder needs them. Decoder is forced to output a picture based on the frames it's already seen.
        Bye

Comment

• the pooper
          • Mar 2004

The difference is "packing"
          You're still not hearing me. I am NOT asking how packed bitstream works. I am asking how XviD's alternative to packed bitstream works. I had said this explicitly in the first line of the first post.

I do now understand the odd effect observed in VirtualDub. At first I had thought you were saying VDub is the reason why a hack was needed for b-frames at all. Though it is very easy to misinterpret your post since it was without any detail or explanation whatsoever.

Comment

• Soulhunter
            • Mar 2004

You're still not hearing me. I am NOT asking how packed bitstream works. I am asking how XviD's alternative to packed bitstream works. I had said this explicitly in the first line of the first post.
            Alternative to packed bitstream ???

Simple, without the above explained packing procedere...

The frames are just saved "normally" (not packed) !!!

So instead of I,P,[B,P] its just I,P,B,P then...

Bye

Comment

• the pooper
              • Mar 2004

The frames are just saved "normally"
              If b-frames are able to just be saved normally then what exactly was the whole issue with b-frames and the avi container that DivX needed to develop a hack to get around?

Comment

• Soulhunter
                • Mar 2004

If b-frames are able to just be saved normally then what exactly was the whole issue with b-frames and the avi container that DivX needed to develop a hack to get around?
                Yes, you need this hack for the old (IMHO outdated) AVI container...

But if you wanna put it in a better container like MP4 you dont need this hack !!!

MP4 is able to store the stream in its naturally form...

Bye

Comment

• the pooper
                  • Mar 2004

Yes, you need this hack for the old (IMHO outdated) AVI container...
                  But if you wanna put it in a better container like MP4 you dont need this hack !!!
                  MP4 is able to store the stream in its naturally form...
                  Um... ok. I already knew all that. I'll be sure to put my question in big bold letters this time so you don't miss it.

What exactly was the whole issue with b-frames and the avi container that DivX needed to develop a hack to get around?

Comment

• Soulhunter
                    • Mar 2004

After reading my posts, you should already know the answer...

Without this hack you would get delay while decoding !!!

Bye

Comment

• bond_d9
                      • Mar 2004

hm maybe a more detailed explanation helps

first of all the problem

the "video for windows" (VFW) codec interface (as used in virtualdub(mod)) and its container (AVI) can NOT handle b-frames, and they will never even know that this frame type exists!
                      therefore it can be said that these are outdated technologies, as they themselves cant handle modern technologies, like b-frames

now there are two possibilites if you want to use b-frames:
                      1) simply dont use outdated technologies, not able to handle b-frames (and use better technologies like DirectShow and .MP4)
                      2) use outdated technologies and develop and use hacks

two different hacks

ad 2) atm there are two different hacks existing to make b-frames work with avi and vfw:
                      a) on the encoder side (called packed bitstream as used by default in xvid and divx5)
                      b) on the decoder side (as used by xvid, if packed bitstream is disabled)

basics

now if we want to understand the hacks for using b-frames in avi and vfw, we have to know the following:

normally the frames are stored in the container this way:
                      I P B B
                      they get displayed this way:
                      I B B P

VFW and AVI use a "one frame in, one frame out" sheme (thats simply how the technology works), which means that on every frame inputted, you have to output one (on both the encoding and decoding side).
                      this is not compatible with b-frames, as b-frames are constructed by using two frames at once, the previous and following i/p frame (but vfw/avi dont allow something like "two frames in, one frame out" or so)

now normally (by using up-to-date technology) the decoder would do the following during decoding:
                      1) display the I-frame
                      2) now he wants to display the B-frame, for which he needs the previous and next I/P-frames. so, having the already decoded I still ready, he graps the P and therefore now is able to decode the B too (its a "3 frames in, one frame out" situation)
                      3) the same goes for the second B
                      4) than he displays the P-frame

hackery when decoding

now lets go on to the hacks:
                      ad a) as AVI and VFW only can do "one frame in, one frame out", the following workaround is done on the encoder side (called packed bitstream):
                      the first B gets packed together with the P-frame to one frame:
                      I P B B becomes
                      I PB B N
                      (N is a not coded placeholder frame to still have the same framenumber)

now the decoder does the following:
                      1) he decodes the I
                      2) for decoding the first B-frame he needs (as described above) the I and the P
                      as the first B is packed together with the P, he "officially" only gets only 1 frame (as PB appears as 1 frame), but in fact they are two frames (P + B), now is able to decode the first B
                      3) as he has the I and P already he is able to decode the second B too
                      4) than he displays the P

the hack here is that as avi/vfw is forced to the "one frame in, one frame out" sheme, you circumvent this by feeding it with two frames at one time, by packing them together to one frame
                      some devs have the opinion that packing two frame to one breaks the compliancy of the stream to the mpeg-4 standard!

ad b) the second possible hack is that the stream gets stored correctly in the avi (as I P B B) but the hack happens on the decoder side:
                      1) first the decoder gets the I-frame, but does not display it (instead he displays the famous "decoder lag" message of xvid!!!)
                      2) in the second step the decoder gets the P as input, but now only displays the I frame (the first frame) - one frame in, one frame out is still followed but with a time lag of 1 frame
                      3) in the third step the decoder now gets the first B-frame and he already has the needed I and P-frame handy and therefore is able to decode the B
                      4) as he has the I and P already, he now is also able to decode the second B
                      5) he displays the P

the hack here is that as avi/vfw is forced to the "one frame in, one frame out" sheme, you create a lag, which leads to that the sheme is still followed, but the decoder does not output the frame he gets, but the frame before
                      in contrary to packed bitstream, the stream gets written as the mpeg-4 standard defines it by using this way

hackery when encoding

these are the two hacks which can make it possible to use b-frames in the outdated VFW and AVI on the decoding side
                      still on the encoding side there is also a hack (as there also is the "one frame in, one frame out" sheme to follow of course):
                      for encoding a B-frame you need to feed the encoder with two frames:

now the encoder does the following:
                      1) you feed the encoder with the first frame -> coded as I-frame
                      2) input second frame -> should get coded as B-frame => not possible as you need a P-Frame too for creating a B
                      3) third input -> B => also not possible as the P was not there till now
                      4) fourth input -> coded as P-Frame
                      5) (now as the I and P are available) => first B gets written
                      6) (now as the I and P are available) => second B gets written

now as we know AVI and VFW is forced to follow the "one frame in, one frame out" sheme, so what do you think it writes in step 2) and 3) ?
                      as it has to write something (one in -> one out), it writes so called delay frames
                      these delay frames are simply written as VFW simply has to write something, BUT they are not there in the input AND they break the compliancy to the mpeg-4 standard

so what can we do?
                      what we always do if AVI and VFW cause troubles -> we hack a workaround:
                      => virtualdub(mod) will drop these delay frames during encoding, to make it sure that there are no delay frames in the final output stream

AVI and VFW is nice, right?
                      Last edited by bond_d9; 5 Jun 2004, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• Soulhunter
                        • Mar 2004

Hey bond, very complete explanation...

Really, you should add this somewhere @ Doom9's !!!

And yes, AVI and VFW are really nice...

Bye

Comment

• the pooper
                          • Mar 2004

Thank you, bond, for taking the time to explain this.

Comment

Working...