Difficulty with .MOV to VCD Comptable...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Timothy
    • Aug 2005

Difficulty with .MOV to VCD Comptable...

I currently have a .mov video file that is about 1.25GB in size. Unfortunately, I do not have a DVD burner so I have to resort to creating a VCD.

First off, I use Nero and am unable to use the .mov file to burn a VCD. Secondly, the file is 1.25GB in size which I will need to split into 2 files so they can fit on 700MB CD-R discs --this, I will be able to do once I get the .mov into .avi, and use NeroVision to split the file.

In order to satisfy Nero's incompatability with my particular .mov video file, I would like to convert it to an .avi file. However, after following numerous amounts of tutorials and using software from Rad Video Tools to Graphedit, as well as many programs that promise to convert .mov to .avi, I have been unsucessful.

According to Quicktime (yes, I've also tried using Quicktime Pro), here are the details of my .mov file:

Is anyone able to shed some light, with the information I provided, on other ways I can convert my .mov video to .avi? Some issues I've had in the past with the other tutorials and programs was missing audio, missing video, and static video (unfortunately, putting many CD's to waste since I found the problems after burning them to VCD's).

Thanks
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

no need to convert to avi. you can convert them straight to mpeg-1 VCD form, in one easy step with tmpgenc (free)AND the quicktime reader plugin installed.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Timothy
      • Aug 2005

Ah, I've my searches have always stumbled upon TMPGENC but it didn't work for me becuase the sites failed to mention the Quicktime Reader Plugin. I have just downloaded both and the video is encoding at the moment.

Hopefully, this will be the solution to my problem. I guess I'll see, once the encoding is complete, if the audio/video is a bit scratchy and if it plays at all. I'm also running low on CD-R's so I hope this will not be a waste of more CD's if I find out it doesn't play completely fine on my DVD player.

Thanks for the help Lt. Columbo! I'll update this thread when it finishes so it can help others who have had the same problem.

[Edit]I guess my update will be later then I expected. It seems this encoding will take more then 8 hours --and it continues to rise to a steady 9 hours!
      Last edited by Timothy; 19 Aug 2005, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

be sure to play them back on your pc before you burn it. there are a lot of editing features you can correct if there is a problem. let us know
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• Timothy
          • Aug 2005

This will be quite a week if, after the initial attempt, the video fails to play correctly. 9 hours per attempt seems to be a bit too long for me . The other attempts I've made took at most, 2 hours, but then again, they all failed. I guess this is a "You get what you pay for" lesson. If it happens too fast, I shouldn't expect it to be 1st quality.

Ah, I almost forgot to ask. For the encoding process, I chose NSTC 4:3 ratio rather then the NSTC 1:1 VGA it had on default. Do you think I chose the right option? When playing the original movie file, it is wide screen so I figured if they tried making it 1:1, things will be stretched vertically so I went with the 4:3.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

well tmpgenc is one of the best encoders around, there are some quality settings that can slow it like motion search precision, but if you left it alone it should default on fast. you can always hit "abort", then playback what has been done and see if it has sound etc. if it is good, just set it up again rather than wait 9 hrs. this is what i do sometimes with a "suspect" file.

i never touch those settings. frankly there is no need if you simply want the output file to have the same aspect ratio and appear the same on playback. when you load the file leave the settings it chooses alone. when you get to the sceen that has the "other settings" button on the bottom right, once in there,on the "advanced" tab and "video arange method" select KEEP ASPECT RATIO 2. that is all.it will retain the aspect ratio.
            Last edited by LT. Columbo; 19 Aug 2005, 08:11 AM.
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• Timothy
              • Aug 2005

Thanks, didn't think of that. I just aborted and viewed the video and it seems pretty good. I'll take your advice with the KEEP ASPECT RATIO 2 and redo it all, now that I know tmpgenc works well

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

ok, just to make sure you are using the VCD wizard template right? and this file being 1.25 GB should have given you a message saying that it is too big and "do you wish to continue?" i hope you said yes to that.

unless you are using the source range method which i doubt...
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• Timothy
                  • Aug 2005

Well, after a feel trials, I notice a bit of vagueness in the video. I'm now worried that, once played on a TV, that the pixels will put the quality through hell.

In the advanced tab, I see the options, Sharpen Edge and Simple Color Correction. Which of those would you suggest I select, if any?

[Edit]Also, I noticed that the sound was a bit low after the encoding. Do you have any advice as to what to change under the Audio tab to correct this?
                  Last edited by Timothy; 19 Aug 2005, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

there isn't much you can do for that. i don't know what kind of shape the MOV file is in, but don't forget your converting to VCD---there will be a noticeable quality loss. i still make the odd VCD and even with the very best input file when converted to VCD, you can see a pixels sometimes. that's how it is.
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• Timothy
                      • Aug 2005

Well, everything was sucessful. Thank you LT. Columbo for all your help. I know many people will appreciate the information you have provided me. I guess the other sources I've used, that used tmpgenc, forgot to mention the Quicktime Reader Plug-in.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

"Well, everything was sucessful. Thank you LT. Columbo for all your help. I know many people will appreciate the information you have provided me. I guess the other sources I've used, that used tmpgenc, forgot to mention the Quicktime Reader Plug-in."

your quite welcome, hopefully you will go back to tmpgenc for all your encoding needs
                        Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...