Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sme
    • May 2009

setting up archiving system--need help

I'm trying to digitize 1,000s of hours of VHS, miniDV, and 8mm onto hard drives. I need help setting up a system to do this. (I'm a total newb.) I have a few thoughts on how to go about it, but I'm open to other suggestions:

1.) I want to store the data as .mxf files. (I also want to be able to burn the data onto DVD occasionally, and I'm not sure if .mxf can do this.)
    2.) I'd like to be able to capture the source material directly into the hard drive (using a capture card?)
    3.) And finally I want to use non-proprietary software for organizing and editing.

And I have some other questions:
    1.) is it better to have 2 large hard drives (one for backup) that can fit everything, or several smaller ones?
    2.) I've heard of people having problems with "VHS wobble" and problems with audio/video sync when using capture cards. How to avoid these?
    3.) What kind of software will be non-proprietary, work on both Mac and PC (ideally), allow me to convert into .mfx, etc.?

Any help is very much appreciated.

S
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Welcome. Lots of stuff here. I would keep it simple and use some 1TB hdd's for storage. These you can put in a Docking Station so you won't have to go in n outta your pc. For the VHS a TV Tuner card would be ideal if you want to shoot it straight into the hd. What I did though was get a DVD Recorder and transfer all my VHS material onto a DVD, then put into a hdd. It might sound like double work, but you'll have to compress any long footage anyway so might as well do it before hand, and make any editing later.

The 8mm stuff and .mxf I'd have to leave to the more experienced fellas.

Oh and ImgBurn will take care of all your burning needs. Free. From CDs to Blu-rays n more. www.imgburn.com
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎