Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Apparently, a moderator on the Neogaf sent Amazon a complaint saying that Sony removing the Other OS function broke a EU directive regarding seller description, and Amazon, amazingly, gave this guy a refund for 20% of the cost of the PS3 that he purchased more than 3 years ago. Will others try the same, and is Amazon paying for this or Sony?

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Amazon paying it will no doubt open the door to everyone getting a refund. So if they on their own went ahead w/out Sony's consent etc... they're in for a long one with Sony and the consumers. I can't see a large and reputable organisation like Amazon making a mistake like this, although it's not out of the question.

If they did run it by Sony then Sony gave them the nod. I hope for both their sake that 20% is all that it stays at. 3 years afterwards is nuts businesswise, unless it actually is breaking the law. Though Sony can lawyer up and work on their disclaimer which I don't know they have, but most merchandise/software does regarding any changes made w/or w/out prior consent etc... Mostly all services have this.

I mean this could open the door to lots of things. What's next calling MS and telling them that a update they implemented is against the initial purchase agreement of say Windows 7?

Also Sony or Amazon paying this will actually cast some doubt on the manufacturing costs presumably quoted by Sony as being astronomical, and contributing to their loss of revenue for each console.

Major potential can of worms here.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Sony says they will not reimburse retailers like Amazon if they give out partial refunds to PS3 owners who are complaining about the removal of the "Other OS" option:

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Originally Posted by admin
          Sony says they will not reimburse retailers like Amazon if they give out partial refunds to PS3 owners who are complaining about the removal of the "Other OS" option:

http://www.thinq.co.uk/news/2010/4/1...n-ps3-refunds/

I didn't think Sony would give the nod to Amazon on that reimbursement, and I also didn't think Amazon would have done it on their own. Though after reading the article and the binding agreement between the Retailer and the consumer, I now see why amazon did this. Though for their sake hope it's not the beginning of many reimbursements.

They have a great reputation and probably could afford it no matter how costly. Question is how many actually bought PS3s from Amazon to begin with.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Amazon are really good with refunds and such, and in this case, they might have been a bit too good, since they're now going to have to pay for any future refunds, not Sony. Which probably means the end of the refunds.

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

I thought Sony was slipping business wise. On the contrary they are still very saavy. With so many loopholes in every law I'm guessing Sony had all this down pact since the inception of the PS3 period.

Law on my side I wouldn't pay out any refunds either.

Comment

• Budreaux
                • Jan 2006

To answer your question...
                Yes, there are a horde of consumers that are waiting for Geohot to release the custom firmware.
                I, for one, do not own a PS3 but have been following the scene. I have been telling everyone to not take this update and just sit on it for a while until the custom firmware is available.
                Agree or disagree with me, but Sony sold these units with Linux being part of the product description. So, if you bought the PS3, then you bought the Other OS option and in my opinion, the right to use it for your unit. Screw Sony....... don;t sell me something and think you can then just take it away when you feel like it w/o refunding me.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Well they better be ready to pay up if caught for Piracy too. I'm not here defending Sony though it is Sony we're talking about. They did what 99.9% of service providers or manufacturers hardly ever do. Exercise that EULA that's virtually in every software/product. I've read it all the time. The right to discontinue/change/update anything any time w/out prior authorization to the consumer and w/no liability on part of the owner.

The banks do it. 1 minute you're at 8% interest and the next at 28%. Though the new laws got to that one. Mortgages do it too. You own a house or rather the bank still does, and Real Estae goes down. You're investment isn't worth crap anymore though the Banks raise your interest on the mortgage. This one is also being looked into.

I boycotted all cell providers except the real burners. Now they're a bunch of crooks.

The only reason I deal w/banks is because of the DD or I'd have my $$$ go into a coffee can ttytt.

I could of cared less about Blu-ray and the PS3 before. Though after researching and the fact that Blu-ray's are just as if not cheaper than some new DVDs, I see no better media hub that's virtually future proof. Anyone interested in 3D? Throw that Blu-ray player out the window or keep it as a backup. It is what it is like they say here in the Apple.

Comment

• Budreaux
                    • Jan 2006

Why is it automatically assumed that a custom firmware is used for piracy. I don;t have a single device in my h ouse running original or even factory firmware. My Phillips DVD player had one of the worst looking UIs I'd ever seen. A custom firmware corrected that and even unlocked some of the potential of the unit as far as UI graphics and capabilties go.
                    My Panny TV is running a modified firmware...my router is running a cistom firmware..my video card in my computer is running a modified firmware and BIOS... why pay 300 for a card when the $100 version is the same hardware with different code?
                    Geohot has been upfront from the get go that his endeavors are to unlock the hardware and utilize the full potential of the unit. He is not promoting piracy in the least, but I will admit, his work will allow for homebrew developers to use it for piracy.
                    I simply refuse to buy a gaming console unless I can mod it anyways...it;s a hobby and I'm open about it. If Sony doesn't like it, then do a better job at locking me out.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                      NOT an online superstore
                      • Oct 2005

Hmm, what is this about custom firmware? I haven't updated mine as I USE Linux on it... I wouldn't mind some custom firmware, any idea when it's gonna come out?
                      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                      My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

You better make sure you're a pro at messing w/what Bud's been doing 4 a while cause if not they'll be knocking on your door. No crying when it happens.

Always remember it's a different story when that steal is around your wrists. Only a suggestion. The only suggestions I ever paid for were the ones I didn't take. Capiche.

Comment

• Budreaux
                          • Jan 2006

Like I said, this is a hobby. There is no need to be a pro if you are smart about what you are doing and not actually pirating material. If you are pirating material, then yes, you need to know what you are doing and be careful where you get your material, but I won't get into that with you.

My current console project is a XBox 360 I'm building for a friend. Nearly completed with full case mod, HDD mod, LED lighting, complete coding flashing, and modded for jtag connection. Fully supporting any brand and size hdd, runs SNES, Genesis, and MAME emulators, full support of all games from hdd including full reverse compatibility with original XBox titles.

Still have to finish the HDD mod and add the LEDs to the hdd case as well. But you get the idea....this is a hobby.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • May 2007

That's some awesome setup you have there Bud. Looks otm. Very professional. I don't think DRF is on that level yet iissms. Take him under the wing or point him to MOD 101. Lol... I know what you mean about the Hobby. That's straight up artwork there!

Only thing I'd still be thinking about myself is well the obvious. You know that thing we need to operate. Other than that I could skip the rest. It is kinda ridiculous what they charge for the item alluded to.

Comment

• shaka
                              Hot!
                              • Apr 2006

This doesn't affect me at all, anyways..

Comment

• admin
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2001

As expected, someone has launched a class action lawsuit against Sony for removing the "Other OS" option in California:

In early April, Sony issued a new software update for the PlayStation 3 that eliminated the option to install an alternate operating system, like Linux, to the console. Now, a California man is suing Sony Computer Entertainment over the change.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎