X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mousira
    • Jul 2005

RMXP.exe file help.

First off, I wish to apologize if this is in the wrong forum and/or there was another thread with this question already.
    Secondly, if this is against the rules. (Tried not to be, and I read the various stickies, but do realize I sometimes miss something.)

I managed to get a movie the other day, but it is in rmxp.exe format. My father has asked me to write this off so he may watch it on the DVD player (watching the computer screen too long hurts his eyes), but I cannot find any way to be able to write this kind of format so that it may be viewed.

I am wondering if I must convert this to another file type, or if it is not possible to write this file type to disc. If I must convert it, what file type would be suggested for convertion and burning, and if it's allowed, what software may be used? (I don't wish to get anyone into trouble, so if it will, just tell me to keep looking. )

Thank you very much in advance, and hopefully someone may help. ^-^
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

That isn't a movie file. ".exe" is the file extension for a program or application. I would be very leery about double clicking (running) this file, as it could potentially be a virus disguised as a "movie".

Comment

• Mousira
      • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by jmet
      That isn't a movie file. ".exe" is the file extension for a program or application. I would be very leery about double clicking (running) this file, as it could potentially be a virus disguised as a "movie".
      Apparently, it is. As I ran it on Zoom Player (no double-clicking) and it played the movie perfectly. O.o

Edit: And I checked it as much as possible before running to make sure it wasn't a virus. *nod nod* It's a movie file, surprisingly.

Comment

• jmet
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2002

I have never seen a movie file with the file extension ".exe"! Happy for you its "apparently not a virus".

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"I have never seen a movie file with the file extension ".exe"!"

Frequently used as a (feeble) means of disguising illicit files for downloading...

"rmxp.exe"

In this case, very likely a RealMedia format video...
          Last edited by setarip; 11 Jul 2005, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• Mousira
            • Jul 2005

http://www.mousira.furtopia.org/test/screen.JPG

That is a screenshot of my folder holding my movies. (With the names blacked out) As you can see, ALL of them are RMXP.exe

This is why it's confusing me, as I can clearly see they are, yet being told that it's impossible. (Or so it sounds) So forgive me if I seem a bit short.
            If it is a way of diguising it, how might I change that so that my convertion program will recognize it?

I do thank both of you for responding to me, but I really don't know that much about this and I was merely trying to ask for help. Next time I'll know better as I feel like I've been called an idiot by at least one of you. Even if it was not your intent, it sounded like it.

Comment

• jmet
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2002

<b>Please do not refer to pirated contents (including software/movies/music ...)</b> - posting messages about movies or software you downloaded off Kazza or some other illegal means is a violation of forum rules. (In your case a "Bit torrent" site.)

Please read the rules of this forum located here. - http://forums.digital-digest.com/misc.php?action=rules

Thread closed for violation of forum rules.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎