Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stakkarn
    • Jan 2006

Rip DVD to XviD

I wonder how people go such good quality on only 700 MB avi files that are rip from DVD's...

I use DVD Decrypter and then AutoGK to rip mine but my quality i nothing compared with others...

Anyone have tips to programs or other things that can make my quality better?
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

enable qpel, enable gmc, set max bvops to 2, use mpeg quantization matrix for higher bitrates (say 1500+) and H.263 for anything lower. enable chroma optimizer and chroma motion, set motion search precision to max (ultra high) and VHQ mode to max as well (wide search). enable VHQ for bframes, set max i-frame interval value to framerate x 10. enable trellis.

this should go without saying-- do 2-pass encoding

also pick a decent resolution, depending on the bitrate. don't go any less than (IMO) 0.19 bits/pixelxframe. you could also decrease audio bitrate to allow higher video bitrate.

make sure you have the latest version, 1.1 final, get it at http://www.koepi.org

note that enabling qpel and gmc will ruin hardware compatiblity (eg. disable those 2 options ONLY if you plan on playing on a divx-certified dvd player)
    Last edited by anonymez; 16 Jan 2006, 12:09 AM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• mojo8850
      • Aug 2005

Hi..

Is It Possible To Have An Up-To-Date DVD 2 XVID Guide..
      Please Give Link..

Guide To The Latest XVID Codecs & AutoGK. Guide..

Regards

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

use the settings in my previous post (which ARE up to date), and/or check the dvd-->xvid guides at http://www.divx-digest.com and http://www.doom9.org

the settings haven't changed much anyway since the last few versions, its just had a couple of small gui changes

Comment

• buach
          • Sep 2006

enable qpel, enable gmc, set max bvops to 2, use mpeg quantization matrix for higher bitrates (say 1500+) and H.263 for anything lower. enable chroma optimizer and chroma motion, set motion search precision to max (ultra high) and VHQ mode to max as well (wide search). enable VHQ for bframes, set max i-frame interval value to framerate x 10. enable trellis.

this should go without saying-- do 2-pass encoding

also pick a decent resolution, depending on the bitrate. don't go any less than (IMO) 0.19 bits/pixelxframe. you could also decrease audio bitrate to allow higher video bitrate.

make sure you have the latest version, 1.1 final, get it at http://www.koepi.org

note that enabling qpel and gmc will ruin hardware compatiblity (eg. disable those 2 options ONLY if you plan on playing on a divx-certified dvd player)

I've been trying to find out how this is done for some time. I've posted on other forums asking about this and been pointed at the right tools, but i've never been shown step by step how to use virtual dub properly to encode xvid and get small file sizes.

i am currently encoding a file that i've been fighting with for some time. it is 3 and a half gig and it only lasts 15 minutes.

in the past it has taken about 20 minutes to convert with virtual dub or agk, but this time it looks like it is going to take over an hour - so i have high hopes that its going to be a good result.

one problem i've been having with everything i convert to xvid is that the sound is way out of sync.

any good posts on that problem round about here?

anyway, thanks again for the detailed info.

Comment

• buach
            • Sep 2006

dammit.

my first encode using your tips is done and the quality is awful. really really bad. it was a 3.5 gig microsoft dv avi and i told it to come down to 50 meg.

was that too small a file size for me to expect?

any ideas?

cheers

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

was that too small a file size for me to expect?
              depends on many factors; what was the bitrate? did you resize? deinterlace?

Comment

• buach
                • Sep 2006

thanks for answering.

i've deleted the file so i don't know what the bitrate was. i used the filesize option - i told it i wanted it to be 50 meg and it selected the bitrate. i have a feeling it was about 200 or 250.

i did not resize. i think it was something like 720 by 570 or something.

i used the smart deinterlace filter (2.8 beta 1) by donald graft.

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

i have a feeling it was about 200 or 250.
                  that would explain it, 250kbps at 720x576 is plain wrong! adjust the file size so you get a bitrate of at least ~1200kbps

i used the smart deinterlace filter (2.8 beta 1) by donald graft.
                  if you have a little (or a lot) more patience you can get much better deinterlacing with avisynth filters, ie tdeint or mvbob

Comment

Working...