X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahill84006
    • Jan 2007

Staples DVD-R......any good???

Hello,

I am a newbie at burning. I recently purchased (2) 50pk 16 x DVD-R from Staples. Are these things any count? Should I just use them for other things besides movies, and purchase some different ones??

If so, what are the best to buy? I have been looking at other threads, and it seems to me that Verbaitum, and Sony are pretty good. Are there any others I should look for????

Thanks in advance, for all of your help!!!!
    Last edited by ahill84006; 11 Jan 2007, 10:36 AM.
  • jm1647
    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
    • Apr 2005

I use the Staples Brand 8X and !6X +R media with no problems. My burners like the 8X a lil better than the 16X but I burn them both at 12X speed. They are made by CMC which also makes DVDs for Verbatim

Comment

• berdman
      • Apr 2006

Dvd Media

JM,

According to Digital FAQ.com Video Guides, CMC Magnetics is a 3rd/4th class media.....why buy this when you can get a 1st class media for the same price ( if not lower) if you do your shopping correctly. Best Buy has good sales on Verbatim every now and then with a media code of MMC 01RG20( Mitsubishi) . I recently bought some of the new 16X Maxcell's and TDK's only to find out that these normally ranked 1st class media are no longer, they are now out sourcing these to Prodisc and CMC. Buyer beware!!!

Just a thought...

Comment

• locoeng
        Who Farted?
        • Dec 2005

I thought the Staples brand coded out as Ritek? Either way, Verbatim doesn't use CMC anymore to my knowledge. It is all about compatability anyway, I personally prefer Verbatims or Taiyo Yuden. All of my Verbatims have coded as MCC.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
        Walt Kelly

Comment

• olyteddy
          • Nov 2006

Basic Information
          Disc type: : DVD-R
          Book Type : DVD-R
          Manufacturer: : unknown
          MID : MBI 01RG40
          Write speeds: : 4 X - 8 X - 12 X - 16 X
          That's what Nero says about my stack. Made in India, Staples Part # 623616.

Comment

• locoeng
            Who Farted?
            • Dec 2005

Moser Bauer...they make TDK as well, might be worse than CMags, certainly aren't any better.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
            Walt Kelly

Comment

• Chewy
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2003

Verbatim doesn't use CMC anymore to my knowledge
              as a mid/dye but cmc makes the better mcc004 disks for verbatim

MBI has made some damn good blanks upon occasion
              Last edited by Chewy; 26 Jan 2007, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• locoeng
                Who Farted?
                • Dec 2005

While not a horrific QS, I can't acheive the same results with MBI's.

Walt Kelly

Comment

• Chewy
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2003

what I have been seeing is mbi and cmc mag approach verbatim in quality

they are getting better and verbatim is slipping slightly, with the gap narrowing

probably caused by the same thing, the standards that verbatim requires and
                  us customers demanding a better product

Comment

• locoeng
                    Who Farted?
                    • Dec 2005

I've heard alot of reports of Verbatims quality slipping, but I've had no issues...haven't used any in a while because I'm working through a pack of TY's, but Verbatim will get their chance in my machine soon enough.

Walt Kelly

Comment

• jm1647
                      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                      • Apr 2005

Originally Posted by berdman
                      JM,

According to Digital FAQ.com Video Guides, CMC Magnetics is a 3rd/4th class media.....why buy this when you can get a 1st class media for the same price ( if not lower) if you do your shopping correctly. Best Buy has good sales on Verbatim every now and then with a media code of MMC 01RG20( Mitsubishi) . I recently bought some of the new 16X Maxcell's and TDK's only to find out that these normally ranked 1st class media are no longer, they are now out sourcing these to Prodisc and CMC. Buyer beware!!!

Just a thought...
                      I think they are using old data or feedback. With my LiteOn Burners using Staples DVD+R 8x and 16Xwith CMC and MBI MIDS I have used and burn at 12X on them all with no problems and good QS scores scanned in the LiteON burner that burned them. I buy Verbatim 8x and 16X also along with the Staples brand, but you'll never find the Verbs for $15 to $20 a hundred with the Staples sales.

Good burns is all dependent on the burner/firmware/media combo. Some burner/firmware combos like some media and some don't

Comment

• berdman
                        • Apr 2006

The feedback is up-to-date (11-2-06), on the last part of the page they are showing the new 16X media and comparing what medias have changed manufactures and as I said before TDK & MAXCELL have changed from 1st class mfg's to the lower classes. I just feel more comfortable using the better ones and lets not forget about "ARCHIVAL QUALITY". But as you said if it works for you and your happy, that's what counts . Later, Dudes

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by berdman
                          The feedback is up-to-date (11-2-06), on the last part of the page they are showing the new 16X media and comparing what medias have changed manufactures and as I said before TDK & MAXCELL have changed from 1st class mfg's to the lower classes. I just feel more comfortable using the better ones and lets not forget about "ARCHIVAL QUALITY". But as you said if it works for you and your happy, that's what counts . Later, Dudes
                          It's much more complicated than all that, the site in question is very out of date and one can not generalize about media without sacrificng accuracy.

Many factors come into play and it takes a long time to "see the forest for the trees"

These I have found to be true
                          1. Taiyo Yuden made media stands alone as the most consistent, highest quality single layer made in the last 2 years and still available
                          2. Verbatim, after a shakey start, has firmly grabbed the second place.
                          Since they do not make single layer anymore and have to rely on cmc, prodisc and mbi, there is more inconsistency than with TY blanks.
                          3. Sony is producing fairly consistent blanks and I consider them a safe buy,
                          even if their quality is slightly lower than verbatim
                          4. Many of the cmc mag's, prodisc and mbi manufactured and mid'd disks are higher quality now and it's dangerous to call them garbage or landfill material.

and first and foremost remember there are exceptions to every rule

actually contains a wealth of information, learning to use it is another matter

Comment

• berdman
                            • Apr 2006

Thanks for input Chewy

Comment

• camellote
                              • Dec 2006

In my experience, DigitalFaq's list is not accurate. It's OK as a starting point, but only that. The BestBuy Verbatim that Berdman mentions, the -R are MCC 03RG20 and the +R are MCC004 (both are very good), and they are frequently on sale at BB, OfficeDepot, OfficeMax or Microcenter for $13-$15 per 50-disk spindle.
                              If you shop around you'll find great bargains. Last month I bought several packs of Verbatim 16X -R @ $8 per 50-disk spindle. I also got Sony 16X +R @ $5 per 100-disk spindle.

Regarding the MCC 01RG20 media that berdman mentions, the only ones that you might find are the Verbatim Digital Movie disks, and those are usually $13 per 25-disk spindle (I have not seen DataLifePlus 4X recently).

Comment

Working...