X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Universal Studios Goes Blu, Paramount Strangely Silent

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced that it will release its titles on Blu-ray.

For its own part, Paramount declined comment on Toshiba's announcement today; instead, the studio issued release details for two HD DVD titles, 'There Will Be Blood' and 'Sweeney Todd.'

It's funny that I would have thought Paramount would be the first to go Blu-ray, while Universal drags its feet around for a while. Not only has Paramount not announced they would go Blu-ray, they announced further details to two HD DVD titles. Weird.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

According to Hollywood reporter
    Paramount has officially gone Blu
    Paramount Home Entertainment quietly came onboard via a statement sent exclusively to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday: "We are pleased that the industry is moving to a single high-definition format, as we believe it is in the best interest of the consumer," the statement reads. "As we look to (begin) releasing our titles on Blu-ray, we will monitor consumer adoption and determine our release plans accordingly."
    Link to story
    Last edited by BR7; 21 Feb 2008, 06:09 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

The rumour is that Paramount want to keep things quiet due to contractual requirements when they went HD DVD exclusive.

Want to guess when we will see the first Blu-ray titles from either Universal or Paramount, and which title it will be? (I don't know when, but I'm guessing the Bourne trilogy and Transformers)

Comment

• BR7
        He is coming to your little town!
        • Aug 2005

I'm guessing the Bourne trilogy and Transformers
        That's what I was thinking
        I also think we will see a lot more stuff from Paramount in the beginning .One would think they still have some left over Blus laying around from when they were making them

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Yeah, the old (unconfirmed) news was that they pulped all the unsold Blu-ray movies from when they went HD DVD exclusive, but I'm sure they have the movies already authored in Blu-ray format saved somewhere, it's just a matter of getting them to disc. So perhaps the first title won't be Transformers, but Blades of Glory, Face Off, Top Gun and Next.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

For some reason, I couldn't find a news story on it on Google News, but it appears that many of the Paramount Blu-ray titles available before they went HD DVD exclusive will be available to buy again on March 17th, at least from Amazon.com. It looks like they kept their Blu-ray stock and did not just simply pulp them like rumours had suggested. You would think Paramount would be making a big deal about it, but they've been strangely silent over all of this. Guilty perhaps?

In any case, here's the search page link for Paramount Blu-ray titles on Amazon:

Comment

Working...