Clear All
  • Abuilder
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Oct 2006

Deja Vu

Comment by Geohots
    2010-05-02 04:20:12

Sorry, but I can’t release CFW due to legal issues. I received a rather nasty letter from Sony.

They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Idk what the end result will be concerning this lawsuit. However it must be looked into very deeply by all, especially the Judge. This if viewed in certain ways in favor of the plaintiffs can have legal ramifications w/a whole lot of other stuff, not just Sony.

@ Abuilder Hi. This is reminding me of your suggestion regarding overclocking and how after so much experience w/it you found there to be lil if any gains. So much trouble and energy putting into this already by the plaintiffs and newly acquired lynch mob.

I still stay firm w/my initial post that this is all about getting some $$$. I don't believe for one bit that someone who wants to use a free OS like Linux would actually want to spend so much on the PS3 to use it with. It doesn't add up let alone make sense.

I just read those posts on the above link. It further validated my stance.

Otn, nice fresh look on the new Forum layout!
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Looks like the US Air Force may be an unwitting casualty of Sony's wars against pirates. The Air Force purchased thousands of PS3s to use in a project in which they linked the PS3s together, and installed custom software (using the Other OS function) to act as a massive supercomputer, cable of processing large amounts of data for a fraction of the cost of a real supercomputer.

However, now what Other OS support has been removed, the Air Force is facing a dilemma. While they can still keep on using the old firmware to continue their project, faulty PS3s cannot be repaired or replaced without losing the older firmware, and hence Other OS support.

There are also other scientific endeavors using a similar set up that may also be affected by Sony's decision to remove Other OS.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

I don't know whether to regard the US Air Force as a bunch of miserly misfits not willing to put up/or request the funds to build themselves something really hi-tech and future proof against any unforeseen updates as this OS removal, or really that stupid to think it couldn't of happened. Maybe both.

I know for sure it wasn't just data transfers. They could prolly fly one of those remote control new spy bombers posted about in the papers here that are being used in Afghanistan. All that's needed is remote access to the plane's control panel and use the PS3's wireless controllers to guide the plane. This might sound crazy but it is happening.

I mean really are we that bad economically that the armed forces needed to resort to this for our security? This is nuts.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

PC World has a new take on this, now that the PS3 is no longer piracy proof, shouldn't Sony bring back Other OS support for the PS3?

It's a good argument, because if Other OS was removed due to fear of piracy, now that the cat's out of the bag, why not bring Other OS back!
            Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

Good point. I might consider updating my PS3 if they add Other OS back... for now I'm leaving it offline and with the latest Other OS firmware.
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
              My DVD Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

I just finished playing w/the Wreless Hookup that for some reason got knocked out. Anyway on checking the Internet Connection it stopped on PlayStaionNetwork and said a Update was required. Fortunately it didn't automatically update the PS3. I'll be waiting until that 3.41 or w/e version is straightened out completely just as you also suggested.

Have to admit the wireless connection is working beautifully streaming via TVersity.

Comment

Working...