PS3 hacked to play pirated games?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Budreaux
    • Jan 2006

It's more to it than that...I've built the programmer required, but not for this purpose. It's for programming PICs.
    Well, the version I am aware of is more than just a usb....it's a usb powered circuit board with a programmable intigrated chip (PIC). Once programmed you simply plug it in as a usb stick, but you can not just go buy usb thumb drive and place software on it.
    I'm going to have to look into any updates on this though, because there very well could be another version out there now.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Yep, my bad. I had read up on what's required to get the open source version up and running before that post, and it's definitely more than just putting it on an USB drive. But the exploit itself won't require specially designed hardware, just something programmable with an USB interface, and so it can theoretically be run on other devices (like phones!) that have USB interfaces. I had originally speculated that it might have been some kind of specially designed hardware key based on something Sony may have provided for developers.

There's now a version for the Nokia N900, but it's apparently a separate effort, and not based on PS Jailbreak:

The detail of the actual exploit can be found here (most of it is a bit technical, but the intro explains it pretty simply):

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Apparently, the Backup Manager in the original PS Jailbreak is getting an update, to version 1.1, which may include the following:

* Ability to play PS2 games
        * Support for future firmware updates by Sony
        * MKV playback (this one is interesting!)
        * Blu-ray ripping to the PS3 HDD (also interesting!!)
        * Support for NTFS formatted disks

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

PS3 firmware 3.42 is out ... only says that it includes "additional security features". Anti PS Jailbreak update?

Hi everyone! A minor update to your PS3 system is now available via system software update v3.42 that includes additional security features. For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 system, please visit the PS3 System Updates page.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

tigeredwards: I've removed your post linking to a store selling the PS Jailbreak device. Apart from the legal issues, which isn't the main concern here, the issue is that there are lots of scams surrounding this device at the moment so it's best to not provide links to stores that sell them.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

In regards to the banning of tigeredwards: I've had to remove his posts again because, once again, it refers to places that sell the PS Jailbreak device, and there are too many issues surrounding the device (is the place selling it selling the real thing? does the device still work? legal issues?), to allow recommendations on where to buy etc...

But that wasn't the reason he was banned, he was banned for posting 3 identical posts (all "promoting" the same store), which adds to his original post, which was also to promote a store selling the PS Jailbreak device.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2006

He just does not get it. What a nimrod.
                Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

Sony UK is cracking down hard on retailers that sell the PS Jailbreak device, even getting court orders to those that didn't cooperate with Sony's request to remove the device from sale at first:

GamesRadar+ takes you closer to the games, movies and TV you love.

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

Sony has another way to battle the PS Jailbreak device - force users to upgrade if they want to play the latest games!

The new Medal of Honor game includes the 3.50 firmware on the disc and you must install it before you can play the game. Installing it of course will prevent the PS Jailbreak device from working.

It's not quite a common practice just yet, but it looks like the PlayStation 3 could be following in the PSP's footsteps in order to get around folks jailbreaking the device. As MCV reports, anyone buying Electronic Arts' new "Medal of Honor" game will first have to update their PS3 to the latest 3.50 firmware (conveniently provided on the disc) before playing -- that firmware also, of course, has the convenient side effect of blocking the ability to jailbreak the console. No word on any other games that will follow suit, but we have sneaking suspicion that this is something PS3 users will have to get used to.

Comment

Working...