Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 3D Blu-ray movie exclusivity killing the format?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Is 3D Blu-ray movie exclusivity killing the format?

I4U news has posted an interesting point of view, in that perhaps the exclusivity deals for 3D Blu-ray movies may be killing the format before it even gets off the ground.

3D Blu-ray titles like Monster vs Aliens, Avatar have all been released as exclusive, for Samsung and Panasonic respectively. In fact, of the 25 announced 3D Blu-ray titles from major studios, only 6 will be available for general sale this year, and of that 6, only Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is currently on sale.

The problem was always whether content should arrive before hardware, and for 3D Blu-ray, it's definitely the case of hardware arriving first, bundled with exclusive content, and with general release content coming later on. Whether this method is better than the opposite of content first, hardware later, it's hard to say, but what is true is that the current situation should be temporary, and expect the avalanche of 3D Blu-ray releases to arrive at the start of 2011, if not sooner.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Vladislaus
    • May 2010

I agree, this exclusive deal is a stupidity. And if it doesn't change then I don't know why did the companies wasted money in developing 3d bluray players and 3d tvs, because it's going to end before is has a chance to bloom.

So I'm spending tons of money on a 3dtv and 3d bluray just to be able two play two movies at max in 3d? Or do they expect that people will change the hardware every time a new 3d movie is launched? They'll get what they deserve for being greedy and short-sighted.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I think it will be very temporary, and we'll see these exclusive titles become general release ones soon enough. The lack of content is actually the reasoning behind exclusivity deals, since every TV manufacturer wants to use these titles to sell hardware - ironically, the lack of general release titles may in fact hurt hardware sales in the short term, as there's really nothing to watch in 3D Blu-ray.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

This is where they're releasing 3D Blu-ray flics only to be played on the set they want you to correct? Another thing that just might not work very well is the release of new titles in the theatres in 3D all the time, which is happening more often now. I like to go and relax while watching a flic, and those glasses are not part of my relaxation, especially at more than $13.00 a pop since $13.00 is the regular rate here in the Apple. 3D is more.
        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
          This is where they're releasing 3D Blu-ray flics only to be played on the set they want you to correct? Another thing that just might not work very well is the release of new titles in the theatres in 3D all the time, which is happening more often now. I like to go and relax while watching a flic, and those glasses are not part of my relaxation, especially at more than $13.00 a pop since $13.00 is the regular rate here in the Apple. 3D is more.
          Well, the discs will work on any 3D Blu-ray player on any 3D TV, the problem is that you can't buy them, you can only get them bundled free with the 3D hardware. They aren't available for general sale, so for example, if you don't have a Panasonic TV, then you won't get Avatar 3D Blu-ray this December (you might have to wait until it goes to general release, maybe April next year). If you get the disc off eBay (I'm sure plenty of people will be selling, at high prices), then the discs will work on any 3D Blu-ray hardware.

They at least got one thing right, that is the compatibility - the only thing that you have to buy in the same brand is the glasses, but otherwise, you can use any brand's 3D Blu-ray player on any brand's 3D TV without a problem (and same goes for discs, any 3D Blu-ray disc will work with any 3D Blu-ray player/TV combo). Of course, by 3D TV, I mean the TVs released this year, the ones with HDMI 1.4 (although 1.4 isn't really needed for 3D Blu-ray, the ones that work with the 3D Blu-ray format all have HDMI 1.4).

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

So if they're being bundled with the hardware, for example, a Blu-ray player/3D TV, then it doesn't matter if you have the hardware now or not if it's being released later on. What do they do, say if you already have the hardware, ask for proof of purchase etc... and then just send you the free 3D Blu-ray movie? How does it work in this scenario?

You just got that new Samsung 3D, so what happens now, they'll send you a free flic in 3D when it's released? Is there some special coded receipt unique to each and every buyer that identifies them as the genuine original owner?

Is this another stupid attempt at Piracy btw? Has to be related somehow. Like anyone in their right mind unless there's money to burn will go out and buy a $3000.00 or more 3D TV just to watch a 3D flic! And even then they might not do it.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• ursimrankhanna
              • Jul 2010

Hi,

I don't think so 3d is other format.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                So if they're being bundled with the hardware, for example, a Blu-ray player/3D TV, then it doesn't matter if you have the hardware now or not if it's being released later on. What do they do, say if you already have the hardware, ask for proof of purchase etc... and then just send you the free 3D Blu-ray movie? How does it work in this scenario?

You just got that new Samsung 3D, so what happens now, they'll send you a free flic in 3D when it's released? Is there some special coded receipt unique to each and every buyer that identifies them as the genuine original owner?

Is this another stupid attempt at Piracy btw? Has to be related somehow. Like anyone in their right mind unless there's money to burn will go out and buy a $3000.00 or more 3D TV just to watch a 3D flic! And even then they might not do it.
                Some of the movies just come with the TV (Samsung 3D Starter Pack), others you'll have to send in for (copy of receipt, online registration ...). Don't know what's going to happen with Avatar and Panasonic yet, maybe people will even have to pay for it, or that it only comes free with new TVs, and those that have already purchased will miss out (I don't think this is likely though - most likely, you'll have to send in the TV's serial number plus a copy of the receipt to get your free copy, just like with most other redemption offers).

It's all to do with marketing, with content so thin on the ground, every TV manufacturer wants to be able to say they have the most 3D content and use the content to promote their TVs. Like I said, this will all be temporary, the movies will come.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Wow. This surely will end as I really don't think many are rushing to get a new 3D TV anyway, Blu-ray release or not. What's your intial take on this 3D being a lasting competitive format along Blu-ray and DVD? Blu-ray might eventually replace DVD though not any time soon.

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

3D TVs have been selling pretty well, mainly because the top end TVs from each manufacturer all now have 3D built-in, so if you want the best TV, you'll have to get one that supports 3D anyway.

Warner just announced they will release 6 3D Blu-ray movies during this holiday season, including Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore," "Clash of the Titans," "The Polar Express," and three IMAX documentaries. Sony will be releasing one more, Open Season, in addition to "Monster House" which is already available.

This means of the 32 3D Blu-ray titles announced, 19 are TV brand exclusives, with the rest being available for general release.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • May 2007

That's good to hear especially Clash Of The Titans. I like that movie. The story line was excellent.

They did good marketing on selling top shelf sets w/the 3D update. You did mention also they were just as much or even cheaper than a regular top shelf 2D set or similar. So I guess the best move is to just go get a 3D set. Samsung still tops?

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

Clash Of The Titans unfortunately uses what's called "fake 3D", it wasn't shot with 3D in mind originally and only "converted" to 3D in postproduction. The effects aren't necessarily worse, but it probably feels a bit more gimmicky than say a movie like Avatar, which was shot with 3D in mind.

Anyway, the good thing about 3D Blu-ray movies is that when you play them in a 2D player, you'll get the 2D version of the movie (you can also adjust some settings in the 3D Blu-ray player to force 2D playback). This should theoretically allow studios to release only a single Blu-ray edition containing both the 2D and 3D version, but most will probably issue separate releases to squeeze more money out of the consumer.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎