• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rago88
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Aug 2005

More bad news for US copyright group

could this "sue for a cash settlement" be shifting??

Thousands of alleged BitTorrent users who were suspected of downloading the movie Far Cry have booked a significant victory in court. District Court Judge Rosemary Collyer ordered the copyright holder of the film, represented by the US Copyright Group, to limit their case only to those defendants there the Court had jurisdiction over.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

It's getting harder and harder for USCG to make money from these mass lawsuits. Actually, it's still relatively easy compared to most other lawsuits, but these are the types of firms that don't really want to do work to earn money in my opinion - they're looking for quick and easy cash and get riled when that easy cash becomes slightly harder to get.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• rago88
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Aug 2005

well, I was one of the 1st to get nailed back in May of this year for the movie "Far Cry"...

they had my IP address which Verizon happily handed over to them. [I did dump Verizon and sent them a formal letter expressing my contempt at being a 30 yr customer and them not caring one way or another about there customer base]

did I pay the 1500 to make it go away? yes....

but this was new and the beginning of the mass John Doe lawsuits and many of of us were caught by surprise with not much time to react and none of the information or help that many have now at there disposal.
      My main concern at the time was that Verizon was going to give up " all of my IP activity for past year or so and that had me worried..
      Did not realize that it was strictly concerning the 1 movie in question.
      [ thought it was just the tip of the iceberg and was going to lead to a 100 or more torrent downloads...

all the downloads were for personal use but as I understand, to download is to automatically upload and that is the fine point in the lawsuits against torent users.

I have not done any torrenting since then but never say never.....
      I hope us copyright group gets there tails blown away in time..
      [ they are just as wrong in doing what they do[ legal blackmail] as I was doing what I was concerning downloading movies back then.

I do admire the users though who stood fast and did not cave in to there scheme like I did.....
      It was kinda like playing the stock market back then. you didn't know where it would lead to each day.
      Last edited by rago88; 30 Nov 2010, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

I would probably have paid up too if I was in the same situation. I mean, just the cost of hiring an attorney would probably be above the "settlement fee" in question, and that's actually part of the strategy of the USCG, forcing people to pay up by making the cost of seeking a legal position higher than the settlement costs.

In any case, there's more bad news for the USCG and the table has been turned somewhat as a class action lawsuit has been fired by some defendants of Far Cry lawsuit, accusing the USCG of "fraud, extortion and abuse". Seems the legal battle is just heating up.

The US Copyright Group thought it had found the ideal scheme to turn piracy into profit when it started filing lawsuits against tens of thousands of BitTorrent users this year. But the defendants in the Far Cry lawsuits have now become the plaintiffs in a class action filed against the anti-piracy lawyers and their partners. Among other things, the lawyers are accused of fraud, extortion and abuse.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎