X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

LG Says PS3s Should Be Banned From Sale, Due To Patent Dispute

Back in December, Sony brought LG to task by filing complaints alleging the South Korean company's mobile phone products infringed seven of Sony's patents.

LG has fought back, claiming that Sony infringes on several patents of its own, and that Sony's Bravia TVs and PS3s should be banned from being imported by the ITC as a result.

LG claims that Sony's TVs violated its own patents relating to how it receives and processes high definition signals, while it also claims that Sony's Blu-ray products infringe on patents relating to processing multiple data streams and reproducing data from read only devices.

While these allegations seem serious, in reality, this legal skirmish will have no real effects on the availability of LG phones, or Sony TVs and the PS3.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Okay, things are now heating up nicely with European custom officials now ordered by the civil court of justice in the Hague to seize any and all PS3 shipments coming into Europe. Thousands of PS3s have already been seized, as LG won a temporary injunction against Sony. The ruling could go as far as removing all PS3 consoles from retail shelves in Europe. Not what Sony needs at the moment, what with the PS3 Jailbreak fiasco as well.

More:

Confiscations ordered after Asian electronics giant LG gets injunction against Sony in acrimonious patent battle. By Josh Halliday

Comment

• cynthia
      Super Moderatress
      • Jan 2004

If Sony is found to have infringed LG patents, it could be forced to compensate the South Korean manufacturer for each PS3 it has sold around the world, which could cost hundreds of millions of pounds.
      Sometimes I love the EU.

Comment

• Digitalboy
        Hello
        • Feb 2011

some serious stuff really, that could hit sony quite hard if this heats up even more.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

The import ban has been lifted, and it appears LG may even have to pay Sony damages of 130,000 Euros for the incident, with an additional 200,000 Euros per day penalty if they don't pay up immediately!

A court order, banning Sony from importing PlayStation 3s into the Netherlands has been lifted following a legal challenge.

Comment

• Digitalboy
            Hello
            • Feb 2011

so they didnt have a case what was the point in all that

Comment

Working...