X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rasczak
    • Jul 2002

Hi8 to DVD On A Standalone

Hi,

Posting this to assist someone else who isn't registered here. He has recently purchased a Panasonic E50 DVD-RAM/-R set-top recorder and wishes to transfer Hi8 camcorder tapes to DVD-R:

When I connect my Hi8 camcorder via any of the E50's S-video inputs the picture has a blue streaky band across the top.

This band is about 2 inches in depth. The rest of the picture is great, but this gremlin spoils the thing. When I plug the camcorder into the S-video socket on my tv, this band is not apparant. It also does not appear on any of the SVHS tapes I have recorded camcorder footage onto.

I have connected my SVHS machine to the E50, and standard tapes play fine, but when I put an SVHS tape of home footage in the problem reappears again. This is also the case if I use the composite inputs......why??????

I have phoned Panasonic, and they say it mabe that the s-video inputs are faulty but, if I connect my other DVD player to the s-video inputs on the E50, the picture is perfect.
    Can anyone help?
    AFAIK he doesn't have access to a PC DVD burner or a method of PC editing.

Thanks
  • shiny#3
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jul 2003

Due to the bandwidth these different devices use to record and
    play back, it might be because the hi 8 camera has an
    output of 400 physical lines and a dvd recorder tries to "capture"
    at 550 physical lines.
    the results would be indeed a blue bar that fills exactly the
    difference between the two values.

Have you (or your friend) tried to connect the Hi 8 to the SVHS vcr machine via s-video input then set it to the right AV channel. and then connect the VCR to the E 50 via a S-video cable??
    the sound can still be grabbed directly.

good luck!!

Comment

• rasczak
      • Jul 2002

Many thanks

Comment

• rasczak
        • Jul 2002

Passing on a post from the original user:

I tried the tip as mentioned, but this does not work. I spent the whole of last night, and a good part of this morning thinking of and trying all the different permutations, but all to no avail.

I have spoken again to panasonic who have stated that if I get a perfect picture when the camcorder is connected to the S socket on the TV, then I should have one on the DVD. They have said that it must be a faulty S video processor, and to change the machine...which I have arranged to do........but I'm not so sure that this is the case, for the reasons outlined in my first posting.
        Anyone have any further suggestions? Considering he's done a test with another source (a DVD player) though the S-Video sockets and that worked surely that indicates the problem lies between the camcorders output and the DVDR's input (as opposed to a faulty machine?). Would a standards converter work?

Comment

• shiny#3
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Jul 2003

this is a hard thing to solve not seeing all of the original posts.

there would be a solution if the devices have scart in and output
          interfaces but they are mostly common in europe.
          this would simply mean a svideo signal to rgb conversion
          standart converters based on hardware might be available.
          before I do that , i would think of purchasing a PC to get all that
          editing stuff as well!!

Comment

Working...