X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pintree3
    • Sep 2004

resizing/cropping VirtualDub/NunDub doesn't stretch

Hi,
    I have an avi video whereby the image is longer (height-vertical) than its length-the people appear thinner than they should. So I used VirtualDub and NanDub (They appear to be one and the same program but with different names but that's another question.) to resize the image. I used various criteria to do so. G-Spot showed it to be 528x480 so I tried 500X480, 480X480 and a few others. When I view the completed file I do get a new ratio--that is the rectangle/frame is different but the image has not stretched to what I had hoped for. What appears to be happening to me is that, it is resizing the frame but at the same time it is keeping the image as it was (bodies still seem to be long)--as if compensating somehow. Maybe this is normal so my question is how does one resize the image (with or without resizing the frame size) so the people and objects in the movie appear normal and not stretched?

Thank you
  • zx50
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Aug 2003

Your going about it all wrong, try reducing the height and not the width. reducing the width will only either keep it the same or make it even worse. So do it again and this time try the height at something like 300 bit lower or bit heigher but roughly that. It's not the width that needs lowered like you have been doing, it's the height.
    Computer Fanatic

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

You've apparently obtained a video that has had the upeer and lower "black bars" cropped off (to reduce filesize):

(In VirtualDub, set "Video" to "Full Processing Mode" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copy")

1) Load you video into VirtualDub
      2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, click on "Filters", then click on the "Add" radio button and doubleclick on the "Resize" filter
      3) Set "New width" and "New height" to the SAME resolution as your original .AVI (In this example, I'm assuming it's 720x480)
      4) Put a checkmark in the box labelled "Expand frame and letterbox image - and enter a multiple of 16 in "Frame height" (Perhaps 208, or 192 to approximate 16:9 - which, in this example, will increase the height from 480 to 688 or 672)
      5) Click on "OK" to return to the "Filters" window

6) Once again, doubleclick on the "Resize" filter
      7) Set "New height" to 480 (This will reduce the ENTIRE image, including the black bars to 480 pixels of vertical resolution). Click on "OK" until you get back to the main VirtualDub window
      8) Save with a new filename

Comment

• zx50
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Aug 2003

Well they don't really have to make a new width, but i suppose it might be the easiest option. I would have made a new height but....
        Computer Fanatic

Comment

• ziadost
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

if it is an mpeg-4 file (divx/xvid/nero, etc.), and you would rather avoid encoding the movie, try this:

download and install the latest version of divx (if you don't have it already), and run the "divx decoder configuration".

look around the tabs at the top, and you will see a box that says "aspect ratio"... try "16:9", "4:3", etc, and play the video each time until you get what you want

good luck
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• zx50
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Aug 2003

I tried this and doesn't change my video's, they just play the same. BUT i have just thought of something, try media player classic, you can adjust the height and the width by fiddling around with the number buttons on the right of your keyboard.
            Computer Fanatic

Comment

• ziadost
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

the "change aspect ratio" in the divx decoder configuration works ONLY with movies that are being decoded with the divx decoder... i have 1 or 2 divx movies that are much too wide, so when i want to play them, i change to option from "maintain original" to "16:9" and it plays back perfectly.
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• zx50
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Aug 2003

Ok i'll try that and get back to you.
                Computer Fanatic

Comment

• pintree3
                  • Sep 2004

sorry to take so long to reply
                  dx50's answer worked but somehow I lost sound along the way
                  i tried various methods always creating different problems -sound went out of synch, is one example
                  I gave up
                  thnxs to all of you

Comment

• zx50
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Aug 2003

Hmmn sorry.
                    Computer Fanatic

Comment

Working...
                    😀