Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mickilea
    • Aug 2004

TMPGEnc - loading the mpeg file

I have been capturing my old VHS tapes to my computer, then using TMPGEnc 2.5 Plus to encode & TMPGEnc DVD Author then DVD Shrink then Nero to burn to DVD, and they have been working just fine. But now I have captured a VHS tape which runs almost 2 hrs. I can load it in WinDVD or VirtualDub & the whole movie can be seen, but when I load it in TMPGEnc to encode it, only 47 minutes of the movie is there & it takes 5 minutes to encode. Why is only a part of the movie loading? What am I doing wrong? The mpeg file is over 5 Gb. Am I going to have to re-play the VHS tape & re-capture it? I am doing this as a favor for a friend (her old Christmas tapes) and have already returned the tape to her.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Does TMPGEnc generate an error message? If so, EXACTLY what does it state?

Comment

• mickilea
      • Aug 2004

There is no error message. The file loads like normal but the whole movie is just not there. But every time I open it in WinDVD or VirtualDub it is all there. Then I go back to TMPGEnc Plus and only part of the movie is there. I have even opened it in DVD Author & tried to edit it and only the same partial movie is there.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

If your captured files are in .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise):

1) Load the .AVI file (DivX-compressed or otherwise) into the most recent version of either VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod

2) Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"

3) Select "Check for errors"

4) Select "Mask bad frames"

5) Save with a new filename

Comment

• mickilea
          • Aug 2004

The files are not AVI. They were captured on Adaptec capture board using Sonic MyDVD program so they end up in mpeg format. I had this problem once before with something I had captured off the TV and ended up deleting the file. Unless you can think of any other solutions, I guess I will have to do one of two things. Either re-capture the tape or load it in VirtualDub, convert to AVI & compress to Divx. I hate doing either one - seems like a waste of time. I really want to figure out why this happens - it is the 2nd time. I am getting to the point where I cannot trust my capture board - guess I need to invest in a better one.

Comment

• mickilea
            • Aug 2004

I loaded it again in VirtualDubMod & this time I got this error message.

"MPEG: Anachronistic or discontinuous timestamp found in audio stream 29 at byte position 3192760338, from 299974983 to 300111033. This may indicate an improper join."

I never joined this file - it was captured all at one time. Do you know what this means?

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Try loading the file into TMPGEnc's "Merge&Cut" tool and split the file at the point where the video stops (where the apparent flaw in the audiostream is). Save the first part with a new filename. Then cut off the first second (1/60th of a minute) of the second part and save the remainder with a new filename. Then reload the new first part and add the new second part.

TMPGEnc>>File>>MPEGTools>>Merge&Cut

Comment

• mickilea
                • Aug 2004

I did what you said & the merge&cut process showed the whole movie. There was a definite flaw at a specific point - I could see it. But when I did what you said to do, all I ended up with was the video stream. As far as type is concerned, I picked MPEG-2 Program (VBR). That seemed the only logical choice. What about the audio stream? It never gave me a choice of choosing video or audio, so how do I get the audio stream now?

I appreciate all the help you are giving me.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

"all I ended up with was the video stream. As far as type is concerned, I picked MPEG-2 Program (VBR)"

By selecting MPEG-2 Program (VBR) you should have, after joining the two new MPEG-2s, a COMPLETE (with both video and audio) MPEG-2 file. Have you tried playing it (NOT in TMPGEnc, which doesn't generate audio)?
                  Last edited by setarip; 17 Nov 2004, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• mickilea
                    • Aug 2004

The original movie plays just fine in WinDVD, including sound, but I must be doing something wrong because all I get is a video stream when I try merge & cut. This is driving me crazy and I have decided to just recapture the movie. I appreciate all your help and I have seen lots of your replies throughout this forum and know that you spend a lot of time helping a lot of people. Thanks.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"I appreciate all your help"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...