Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AnotherD.S.User
    • Dec 2003

dvds or freezing up

I find that one I backup one of my dvds, it will work fine for a short period of time but after a few uses, maybe 5 to 6 times, the dvd starts to freeze up and will not play past that point anymore. I have tried different players, I have 2 Apexs, it froze in the same place on both of those and it also freezes up in the same place on other players, I have tried even on a JVC, Sony, X-box, and PS2. This is not a problem with just one dvd by the way, this has starting happening to all my backuped dvd's. I have tried different disc also ranging from Memorex, Sony, Fugi, Imation, Philips, and Khypermedia. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a problem I can avoid in the future.

By the way I am using DVDShrink3.05 and Dvdshrink2.3 and I am burning the Dvds with Nero if that helps
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"it will work fine for a short period of time but after a few uses, maybe 5 to 6 times, the dvd starts to freeze up and will not play past that point anymore."

It sounds like one of your DVD players may be damaging your burned DVD(s)...

Comment

• AnotherD.S.User
      • Dec 2003

I am not sure about that, I had two freinds who have been having the same problem, that is why i made the post to begin with. Could it be that all 5 dvd player (2 being mine, 2 belonging the another, and 1 to the last friend) would be messing them up?

I am not ruling it out that the players are messing them up but that seems a bit odd, that all those players are messing up the backuped dvds.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
        • Sep 2003

This sounds very much like a new copy protection scheme that I have been reading about that is not yet emplamented. The protection would allow you to burn copyrighted discs perfictly fine but they player will detect the iligle copy and set the laser to an un usuely high mode witch will burn and destoy the disc as it plays. You would get a few plays of the movie before eventualy the disc will be so damaged it would become unplayable. This however has not yet been emplamented and will probly be a protection used for HD-DVD sometime in the future.

This could be accadently happaing to you if your player is defective and the laser for reading DVD-R is set to strong but I highley doubt it would be happaning on so many diffrent players unless there all 5 the same brand.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Could it be that all 5 dvd player (2 being mine, 2 belonging the another, and 1 to the last friend) would be messing them up?"

No - But if you have consistently used ONE SPECIFIC player FIRST to play each of the burned DVDs, IT may be the culprit...

Comment

• AnotherD.S.User
            • Dec 2003

I don't, I have players in my bedroom and one in my living room and depending on what type of rating the movie has depends on whether are not I play it in front of the kids.

But that still isn't helping much considering that the Sony and Sony PS2 and a JVC or all getting the same error and my freinds have not let me use their disc, they have tried my disc and had problems with mine, so I am not sure. I will probably just stick with SVCD's till I can figure out how to avoid this problem.

Thanks for the help thou. If you have any other ideas I am more than will to try them. Maybe you can recomend a media i have not tried yet.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
              • Sep 2003

well sence your friends never let you use one of there discs and they are geting errors from your discs this wuld seem to rule out there players as having the problem. The PS2 is not known to have any problems like this so it's now down to one of 2 things. It's a problem with the SONY or the JVC or it is a problem with your burner.

You may want to do a little experament. burn 2 new copys of the exact same movie. lable one SONY and the other JVC and only play the disc in each of the player (sony on sony and jvc on jvc) see if one of the discs dies. If both discs die it may be the burner and or the blank discs you are using.
              Last edited by GeneralLeoFF; 5 Dec 2003, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• AnotherD.S.User
                • Dec 2003

I'll try that and get back with you in a few days General. As far as the copywrite and the dvd destroyong themselves, I am not sure that is the problem, it is probably the player considering it has messed up both final destination one and enemy of the state, 2 dvds that have been out for a while.

Comment

• GeneralLeoFF
                  • Sep 2003

yea that protection is not emplamented yet. I know it isnt the problem. I was just using it as an example to describe something that could possably be happing with one of your players. I'm sure that ideafor protection was deviced when it was relised that sting a players laser at a high enough level can and will destory a disc.

it being a protection is not at all your problem. No DVDs as of now have that and no current players are able to accept that signal to adjust the laser frequincy right now.

A defective player can still accadentualy damage a disc in that same manor though protected or not.

Comment

• BLACKGHOST
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • Sep 2003

i have found with the JVC that when you backup a dvd onto a normal (white covered) blank dvd they do not work properly. Skipping/jumping sometimes dont load at all.

Then i tried to backup onto a silver coated dvd and BANG no problems at all. Seems to be something with JVC. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

• surtees
                      • Jan 2004

i am having the same problem,player skipping,freezing,jumping or just turning off,i have a dual format dvd burner,using verbatim recordables,all my back ups worked fine until yesterday,i tried them in my other player,by the way i have 2 standalones,LG5502p and a magnavox, only a couple play in the magnavox,then when i try to play back any other i get disc error in my magnavox,and in my lg it plays,then freezes or skips,etc,they all work perfectly in the xbox and my friends players...samsung,pioneer and digitor.all mainly on - recordable, i re-wrote one onto a dvd-rw and it worked fine.i can't see that 2 players can bugger up at the same time,especiallywhen the LG is used more than the magnavox.damn crazy.... appreciate any ideas.
                      PS...sorry,i forgot to mention,i'm using several programmes,dvdx copy xpress,dvd decryptor and clone dvd with any dvd,with dvdx copy xpress i have removed all blacklisted programmes so i know there isn't a problem there
                      Last edited by surtees; 9 Jan 2004, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• AnotherD.S.User
                        • Dec 2003

I gave up on it for the time being. What I started doing is just zipping the file up using winrar then just backing them up. After I unzip them and burn them to a RW till it messes up then just unzipp them again and if the zip gets scratched i still have the orginal to rip agian. So till I can figure out another way to it, this is what i will do.

Comment

• BLACKGHOST
                          Platinum Member
                          Platinum Member
                          • Sep 2003

Thats real strange I just bought a Magnavox for my brother and my backups wont play in his neither. Keep skipping.

What could be the problem???

Comment

• AnotherD.S.User
                            • Dec 2003

I am not sure but someone said it may be a compression thing, I am not sure about that but with the DVDshrink I found that when I rip just the movie and not the rest of the dvd the problem has not presented itself at least not yet. The movie has ran just fine for the last couple of days so I will have to wait and see.

Comment

• surtees
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by BLACKGHOST
                              Thats real strange I just bought a Magnavox for my brother and my backups wont play in his neither. Keep skipping.

What could be the problem???
                              well i got to the bottom of some of the problem ,with my LG DV5502P,why it's skipping and freezing is,apparently,i have a freak machine,i suppose you could call it *L*.it doesn't support DVD-R or DVD+,only supports DVD Video,Vcd,SvcdCD-R, CD-RW AND MP3,however i did a little test through out today,it seems to play DVD+R well,apparently the 500 series LG isn't designed to play DVD +/-, (hence the freak machine...technically can't play backed up DVD"s)LG started making DVD +/- compatable machines in the 700 series.
                              so while i was down town today i picked up a machine that can handle DVD +/- R'S and RW +/-...a digitor.....$89.00

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎