NVidia TV out in black and white!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomcstein
    • Oct 2006

I've bought my new nvidia GF7600GT with the new HDTV supported TV output and I experienced the exact same problem, as everyone here is describing... B/W picture on my TV no matter what I did.

After a long time reading the forums and my trial and error attempts I finally managed to get color picture to my TV. The thing that worked for me was:

I used the adapter, that came with the card and which is supposed to convert HTDV signal output to S-Video. Now, the trick is not to use the S-video output of the adapter, but one of the 3 other outputs, marked as VIDEO, change the settings to composite output and use the composite cable to connect to TV.

Now, I know, this solution might not be the best for everyone, since not everyone can connect to TV with a composite cable, but it might help to those, who just can't seem to get color on s-video.

Comment

• izecream
      • Oct 2006

Hello guys, I really sincerely hope you can help me out.

I have a fx6600 Nvidia card, I have composite s-cable with 4 pins.
      Its all set, the POST function or boot process is all in color but then on log on, I get B/W. DAMN! I have tried all imaginable settings, 50 Khz TV, pal and soforth. Even looked at the saturation thing, nothing worked. I had this problem a couple of times before and I never can remember what I did.

I want to write it down next time or something, maybe I was just lucky but do you guys have any idea as to what I schould do?

DAMN!!! I need the entertainment hehe...

Comment

• stormseeker
        sTOrM
        • Nov 2006

hey same deal for me guys. I jumped from mx440 to 6800. never had the problem b4 and like many of you i remebered fixing it in the past but this time to no avail. I have tried everything. On this thread a couple of people mention fusing the two pins furthest from the black plastic insertion. I did this this morning, it works PERFECT!! just fuse them without touching the outside casing. and it's fine. makes sense as the black and white was perfect quality. it was like a signal was missing. well here it is. Thanks to the peeps on this forum, without you guys i would still be frustrated.

Comment

• izecream
          • Oct 2006

Hey it worked guys, thank you so much.

Comment

• wastedweasel
            • Jun 2006

just a notice to you guys, i bought a projector a couple of days ago. and i kept my s-video output setup for now until i get a hdmi cable, but the thing is i had really crappy tv-out so i was doing all kinds of settings and stuff to get it better but nothing so i figured i'd try removing the wire i had set between the two pins and voila!.. perfect picture .. just crap that i can't set it to HDTV output coz of the s-video cable

Comment

• Duvan
              • Dec 2006

That method of connecting the two upper pins of the s-video connector... does that work if you use a S-video (from video card) to composite video cable?
              That is, I use one long S-video to RCA cable, and no adapters.

Also, the same cable works with the same TV but with a Radeon graphics card.
              Do you think connecting the two pins is my solution or is it something else?
              I get color until the Nvidia drivers kick in with my current 6600gt too.
              Also, changing to composite in the opitions now, produces no signal.

Comment

• Duvan
                • Dec 2006

Originally Posted by Strakha
                Just to clarify, what I actually did was get a wire tie, and cut the insulation
                So, what exact kidn of wire should I use?
                Any kind of metal wire that is thin enough?

Or does it have to be the kind of copper wire that seems to be in for example loudspeaker wires (the ones you put into amplifiers)?

Comment

• wastedweasel
                  • Jun 2006

yeah i'd guess that would work as we all had the same problem with color disapearing when the nvidia drivers kicked in. So go fo it!

Comment

• wastedweasel
                    • Jun 2006

anything that is thin enough, i used aluminium wire

Comment

• Duvan
                      • Dec 2006

Thanks, eh... but doesn't the wire get off when its inserted into the TV-out jack?

Or should the wiring be at the bottom so to say?

Comment

• YankeeWR
                        • Apr 2002

Hello. I was having this black and white problem once again, and I fixed it by switching to the old nview mode, where you could easily change tv format output settings (PAL, NTSC, etc.). I strongly dislike the new "Nview Desktop Manager", it apparently tries to be easier to configure, but it turned out all wrong, it won't let you do many things that are now taken care of by "Wizards" >
                        As I was saying, when I finally felt myself at home with the old view, I went to Properties-->Settings-->Advanced-->Geforce-->nview display settings-->nview display mode: clone-->primary display: TV, Secondary: PC (this way you can see movies with your TV, and it shows as a black screen in your PC). Mark the display shown as your TV (in my case it's shown as "1b", and my PC is "1a", then click Device Settings-->select tv format-->M/NTSC. I was going nuts trying to undo the setting established by the wizard: composite pal-n. Go figure, heh.
                        So it was M/NTSC instead... That's the format that worked for me. Even though I'm in Argentina and supposedly we use PAL-N... well whaddayaknow, the only way I could get the tv to show colors, was to set the output to M/NTSC... weird.

Hope it helps someone.
                        Cheers.

Comment

• Duvan
                          • Dec 2006

Doesn't seem to work at least.
                          That is, still B/W when TV set to s-video and when changed to composite no signal.
                          Any opinions or comments?
                          Or even ideas what to try next?

If this was what you meant:

Comment

• Kenif
                            • Dec 2006

Listen guys, it definitely works.
                            I had this problem last year, I only found the solution about two months back scouring forums.

One solution was
                            http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm (not used this myself, found it on wikipedia)

The solution I used:

(this is a guide I made up after mucking around for ages)

I tried to wrap wire around the two pins, but it kept falling out (after somehow working first time). The solution i suggest has worked perfectly for 2 months.

Comment

• Kenif
                              • Dec 2006

also, when you do this.
                              Go back and switch to default settings, if you've been mucking with saturation levels previously it can mess it up.

Comment

• mashia
                                • Dec 2006

had the same problem with the B/W TV from my TV-Output after changing my graphic card to XFX 7600. The solution was actually quite simple. Instead of using the 4 pin S-video to Composite or 4 pin S-video to 4 pin S-video, i use the included 9 pin S-video to Component Breakout box included in the box. The box with 3 composite like connector, connected with the S-video. I then connect it to the middle connector and everything work perfect. If you have this box. give it a try.
                                Yes i fully agree and it helps for me too

Comment

Working...