Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingkong
    • Sep 2005

creating DVD with avi files

i would like to burn a DVD with interactive menu where i could choose which files to play.
    the problem is that my files are avi and i would like to keep them cause they all fit on 1 DVD. i tried with different programs to make such interactive DVD, but all of them tried to burn it as a DVD so the avi files were ''transformed'' into dvd files...
    is there any way i can make a DVD with interactive menu and keep my avi files?

thx
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

there is no way to burn to a dvd that is standalone compatible, while keeping the files as avi's, as well as have menu's.

you have 2 options:

1. keep the video's as avi files, and burn. you will be able to play the dvd's (menu's cannot be used) on a divx certified dvd player. this can be done with any burning program.

2. convert all your avi's to dvd format, and create menu's yourself. this will only allow a maximum of 2 short movies per disc, if you are after reasonable quality. you can use tmpgenc to convert to dvd format, (and then 'tmpgenc dvd author') and use nero to burn. check the divx/xvid-->dvd guides at http://www.doom9.org and http://www.afterdawn.com
    Last edited by anonymez; 20 Sep 2005, 08:06 PM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

i have heard of some divx players that will make a basic menu of the avi's....there are some out there.
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• SmegmaRice
        • Jul 2005

i've taken home movies (AVI format) from my mini DV camera and put them on DVD using Nero. Takes about 60 min to burn for 30 min of camera time. You can create your own menu, chapters and background picture. But like anonymez said, it will not save them as AVI format. Not sure if that helps, but using Nero works for that.

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

@LT: do you mean players for the divx6 format, which can hold menu's etc? i thought they were'nt out yet?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

i meant dvd players that say they "support divx", keep in mind, this is not a menu like you would make in an authoring program, but it at least numbers the tracks and calls them their file name so i thought that is all the original poster wanted anyway
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

i see

i should buy a divx player one day...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

yeah my next one i will make sure it has it....but i will still convert to dvd format, i think burning data dvd's are the lazy way of doing things, if you ever want to bring that disc in the car or over at a friends chances are you won't be able to play it....
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• kingkong
                  • Sep 2005

thx for all the answers! i was just hopin' that there is out one program that would allow me to do that!

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

its not the program that's stopping such menu's, but rather the hardware, which will only play files that conform to a standard...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                      Demigod of Digital Video
                      • Nov 2004

yeah, but it would be good if there was such a program that could create a menu for avi files and yet keep it in data form for divx supported players---one day maybe, or at least all the bloody manufacturers should have it built into the players.
                      Columbo moments...

Comment

• kingkong
                        • Sep 2005

hm, i heard somewhere on one of the forums (which one i really don't know, google search) that there is a chanse to do a menu with html?! is that really possible?

Comment

• atifsh
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • May 2003

Originally Posted by kingkong
                          hm, i heard somewhere on one of the forums (which one i really don't know, google search) that there is a chanse to do a menu with html?! is that really possible?
                          oh u can even with little vb programing menus like xp installation disk has but it wont play on standalone player as he wanted
                          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎