• benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

PAL to NTSC Conversion

PAL to NTSC with TMPGEnc Plus and DGPulldown
    <o></o>
    <o></o>
    There are many different ways and tools to convert DVD from PAL to NTSC. The fastest method is to patch the PAL DVDs with IfoEdit so no need PAL to NTSC conversion. Unfortunately not all standalone DVD players can read these patched discs. Converting with AviSynth can yield great result by slowing down the framerate from 25 fps 23.976 fps and then using GoldWave to adjust the Time Warp to keep video and audio in sync. It is definitely a great program but also looks intimidating to someone who’s never tried scripting before. Canopus ProCoder 2 is one of the best programs for converting PAL to NTSC. However, not so many people can afford its high price. Although the method I use below is not a perfect for this kind of conversion, it utilizes most of free or trial tools, simple to use, and lesser chance for the audio to go out of sync. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Tools needed:<o></o>
    <o></o>
    DVD Decrypter(free)<o></o>
    DGIndex (DGMPGDec) (free)<o></o>
    TMPGEnc Plus (trial ware) <o></o>
    DGPulldown (free)<o></o>
    <o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Procedure:<o></o>
    <o></o>
    1. Ripping with DVD Decrypter
    <o></o>
    In this procedure, I use DVD Decrypter to decrypt the PAL DVD to my hard drive in File mode. When ripping with DVD Decrypter, we can easily see the DVD format either PAL or NTSC by right-clicking the disc content and selecting the Stream Processing (That is the reason of common complaint about burnt DVD only plays with PC, not with standalone DVD player)

2. Frameserving DVD with DGIndex
    <o></o>
    Start DGIndex, go to File and click Open. Browse to the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD backup, select and open all the available files in the File List, and then click OK to load the entire DVD in DGIndex. We can preview our DVD by pressing F5. Finally Go to File, select Save Project (F4) to create a new name and location for DGIndex Project Files (*.d2v) for video and (.mpa) for audio <o></o>
    <o> </o>
    3. Converting with TMPGEnc Plus
    <o> </o>
    Start TMPGEnc Plus, close the Wizard, press Load to open the Template, and load the “DVD (PAL).mcf” template (This is the template of the original PAL file)<o></o>

<o></o>
    Click Browse buttons of the Video source to select the .d2v file and the Audio source for .mpa file. Then choose a name and location for the Output file name<o></o>

<o></o>
    If we go to the Setting right now, we will notice that most of the settings on the Video tab become grayed out. Therefore, we have to click Load button again, open the Extra folder, and load the “unlock.mcf” template by selecting it and click Open<o></o>

Now, press the Setting button, on the Video tab change the video resolution from PAL to NTSC (For example: changing from 720x576 to 720x480). Change the Encode mode from “Interlace” to “Progressive” (Non-interlace). Don’t change the Framerate. Just keep it at 25 fps. Click Start to begin encoding<o></o>

After encoding the file, go to TMPGEnc Plus: FileMpeg ToolsSimple De-multiplex, load the mpg, and demux it into the .m2v and .mp2 files (This step is necessarily needed to have a lesser chance of the audio going out of sync.) <o></o>

<o></o>
    4. Applying 3:2 Pulldown
    <o> </o>
    Open DGPulldown, click Browse to load the m2v file, choose the desired framerate from 25 fps to 29.97 fps, and click Convert button

<o></o>
    DGPulldown is useful for applying traditional 3:2 pulldown which takes a progressive MPEG-2 video elementary stream and applies pulldown flags to change it to a higher legal MPEG-2 output framerate. It also allows changing/correction of timecodes<o></o>
    <o></o>
    After the DGPulldown conversion is done, the m2v and mp2 can be remuxed by using TMPGEnc Plus: FileMpeg ToolsSimple Multiplex to be authored with any DVD author programs or opening them directly to the TMPGEnc DVD Author for DVD authoring<o></o>

<o></o>
    I do my best to organize this thread in hope to be able to share my little contribution of a member to this great forum

Note: Download this PDF file for easily printable version

Attached Files
    Last edited by blutach; 8 Mar 2006, 12:55 PM.
  • blutach
    Not a god of digital video
    • Oct 2004

Fine guide Ben. I have extracted the pix and popped them in the post.

Regards
    Last edited by blutach; 26 Oct 2005, 07:33 PM.
    Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
    [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• benbryant
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Aug 2005

Much mahalo for helping me with the pix blu. You're always ready for supporting

Regards

Comment

• swraman
        • Aug 2005

Does this convert the whole DDV, Menu's and all?

And...I was trying to follow the directions...maybe its just me...DGIndex only outputted a .d2v file, no audio file...Do you have to do anything else to get it to output the audio?
        G4 =

I got a ton of Gmail (2+(and counting)GB Email from Google) invites if anyone wants one. PM or email me if you want one.

Comment

• asamel
          • Oct 2005

Where can I download BDPulldown? I can't seem to find a site to do this.

Comment

• benbryant
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Aug 2005

Hi asamel,

You can get it from the link below:

The Best Video Conversion, Compression & Editing Software, Promo Codes & Deals August 1, 2022 This article has been just updated: August 1, 2022 In this article, we will talk about some of the various technical details of video files and codecs and take a look at a number of tools that can be used [&#8230;]

Regards

Comment

• benbryant
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Aug 2005

Hi swraman,

All of my PAL DVDs about spearfishing events in Europe have no menus so that I've never had opportunity to learn how to save the menus while converting from PAL to NTSC in order to have a correct answer for you yet. What I am afraid is that, in my opinion, since you have to encode and reauthor your DVD, you won't be able to save your menu unless you have to combine with different tools or converting PAL to NTSC with a different method

DGIndex your decrypted DVD into 2 files: a mypalmovie.d2v for video and a mypalmovieT01 DELAY 0ms.mpa for audio

Comment

• swraman
                • Aug 2005

It outputs a .ac3 audio file which is not openable by PMPGeng.

Do I havbe to change the output settings or something?
                Last edited by swraman; 1 Nov 2005, 06:45 PM.
                G4 =

I got a ton of Gmail (2+(and counting)GB Email from Google) invites if anyone wants one. PM or email me if you want one.

Comment

• neuron2
                  • May 2003

Originally Posted by swraman
                  It outputs a .ac3 audio file which is not openable by TMPGEnc.

Do I have to change the output settings or something?
                  Select "Decode AC3 Track to WAV" in the Audio menu before saving your project.

Comment

• hkm
                    • Jan 2006

BenBryant - Thank you so much!

Wow! Such an excellent guide/tutorial. Thank you so much! I'm pretty new at this, as I just received a whole stack of PAL DVD's, home-authored by a fellow film archivist of public domain films, news broadcast outtakes, discarded / "found" footage discarded from old film labs, as well as anthropological footage [absolutely none of it is copyright protected or otherwise restricted from copying/converting -- believe me, I've researched this well]. I was scratching my head over how to convert easily without the seemingly daunting plethora of tools & idiosyncratic settings, etc. out there. I tried like everyone else, I guess, the IfoEdit quick fix, which works *most* of the time, but as is posted, was worried about true NTSC compatability.

I work at a non-profit film archive/restoration facility, so am always delighted to see freeware [mostly] tools that I can use, and as always, will donate once I try them out. [And to Digital Digest as well!] TMPGEnc I can certainly afford to buy after my trial period!

Anyway, thank you so much for this great New Year's present! I can't wait to get started.

Comment

• boonclee
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Mar 2005

In step 3....why did u select videocd(Pal).mcf instead of DVD(Pal).mcf...for your screen example?

Comment

• benbryant
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Aug 2005

Hi boonclee,

Mahalo for bringing it up

My bad. In the printscreen software, I placed that fake mouse pointer there by accident. DVD (PAL).mcf should have been selected as stated in step 3

Regards

Comment

• blutach
                          Not a god of digital video
                          • Oct 2004

Good pickup. @ben - wanna send me a new pic and I will change it?

Regards
                          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• boonclee
                            Gold Member
                            Gold Member
                            • Mar 2005

quite ok ben,,,
                            ok...i ran dgindex on the decrypted files..
                            and it produces 3 files...
                            1. slp2.dv2 (which is only 717kb)
                            2. spl2 T02 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY 0ms (243MB)
                            3 spl2 T01 2_0ch 192Kbps DELAY 0ms (260MB)
                            so i proceeded to run tmgemc plus 2.5
                            and when i tried to browse the file...it couldnt come up..because the file type is not on the list...
                            so also is the audio browse....
                            BTW....what do u do with 2 audio files? and
                            when i change it to all file types...it shows the spl.dv2 file...but when i selected it...itsays " cannot open or support"

any suggestions? thanks ben

Comment

• benbryant
                              Digital Video Master
                              Digital Video Master
                              • Aug 2005

Much mahalo for helping blu. I attach the correct pic and please help me with that

Click image for larger version

Name:	DVD PAL.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	905720

Regards

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎