• Show
Clear All
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Basic Guide How to Convert AVI Files to DVD with Avi2DVD

Basic Guide How to Convert AVI Files to DVD with Avi2DVD

Avi2DVD is a GUI that uses freeware tools and various freeware encoders (QuEnc/FreeEnc/NuEnc) or CCE to perform conversions such as AVI, OGM, MKV, and WMV to DVD, SVCD, or VCD. It can also be used to convert DVD to SVCD or VCD. One of nice features I like about this program is automatically convert audio files to AC3 format. The current version, Avi2DVD 0.4.2 beta, is still in beta phase so it's still buggy though. After installing Avi2DVD, some of my programs such as VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 or DGIndex became extremely slow and sluggish and returned to normal as soon as I uninstalled it. It seemed to be some kind of codec conflict that’s caused the problem. Hopefully, the future updates will improve this handy program. In this basic guide, I will show how to convert .avi file to DVD only <o></o>
    <o> </o>
    You can download Avi2DVD from its official link:<o></o>
    http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.html<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Installing Avi2DVD will pack your PC with relatively useful tools:

The older Hank HCEnc version 0.15 came with this program. In order to update from HC 0.15 to HC 0.16. I deleted the original HCbatch.exe, copied the HCbatch_016 there, and then renamed it to HCbatch.exe. Thanks UncasMS for the wonderful tip of updating HC encoder in DVD-Rebuilder. This tip worked well with Avi2DVD too<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    File preparation:<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Put avi, ogm, mkv, or wmv file(s) and subtitles in a simple path such as D:\Movie. Let’s say your first half of a movie is your CD1 and your second half is your CD2<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    • If you have a movie with 2 parts, for example, rename them like this: Test CD1.avi and Test CD2.avi<o></o>
    • For subtitles, do the same like this: Test English CD1.srt, Test English CD2.srt, Test French CD1.srt, Test French CD2.srt<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    The CD1, CD2, CD3 etc…are important for Avi2DVD to accept and arrange your files correctly. Now let’s load Avi2DVD to start the guide<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    <o> </o>
    Step 1: Input<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    With Avi mode selected, press “Load avi/ogm/mkv/wmv. On the Open dialog, you just browse to D:\Movie, open the Test CD1.avi, and Avi2DVD will automatically load all the files for you.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Under Choose AudioStream a list of audio streams will appear (usually with .avi files there is only one, but if there is two, the choosing the one you like)<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    The Aspect Ratio should have already been selected by Avi2DVD, but if it hasn't been, or has been chosen incorrectly, just change it<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    If the source is interlaced (excessive horizontal lines during playing the movie), you can select the Deinterlace checkbox to de-interlace it.<o></o>

Step 2: Output<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Choose DVD or SVCD for output format. <o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Choose Disk Size offers various types and capacities of media you can use. But for this guide the default option should be DVD (DVD-5 4.7 GB) unless you have a very large files, a dual layer burner and DVDR DL media, in that case, choose DVD (DVD-9 8.5 GB)<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Your Aspect Ratio setting is important, it should be the same as the source, or you may end up with horrible quality results<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Choose the Audio Bitrate based on the quality of the original sound. Avi2DVD will automatically encode into AC3 audio for better DVD player compatibility. If your source was VBR MP3 audio then abut 192kb/s or 224kb/s should be fine. If you had AC3 audio input, a little higher is fine but there's no need to go past 384kb/s.<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Make ISO should be selected and you can set Name to whatever you like (this will eventually be the Volume Label of your DVD after you burn it). The only reason you might not want to select Make ISO is if you don't have enough space for it. If you unselect it, you will still get a VIDEO_TS folder with DVD files in it<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Choosing PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL Conversion might cause jumpy or sticky play back on certain movies. It is up to you to decide<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    You can also set chapters to be automatically added every given number of minutes<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Last thing is to choose an Output Folder. Click the small folder icon to choose where to save your output. By default, Avi2DVD will create a folder called Avi2dvd_temp in the folder where you store your input files<o></o>

Step 3: Encoders<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    You have the option to use five different encoders: QuEnc, FreeEnc, NuEnc, HCEnc are free and CCE is commercial encoder which you have to pay if you want one. You can pick any encoder listed above. IMHO, I am big fan of HC encoder for its fast and superior quality (Thanks hank315 for this great encoder). Therefore, I pick HCEnc in this guide. But I suggest that you should try them all to compare yourself<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    For Profile, you can select fast, normal, good, and best. IMHO, I choose best for profile. If you want the best quality, then you have to sacrifice encoding time<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Leave “mpeg” for Matrix as default<o></o>

Step 4: Subtitles<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    There 3 sets of subtitles: Subtitle 1, Subtitle 2, and Subtitle 3. To add a subtitle file (srt or txt) simply click the Subtitle 1 button and locate the file “Test English CD1.srt” in the prepared Movie folder. Do the same thing to Subtitle 2 and Subtitle 3 if you have more than one subtitle, you can change the options for each subtitle independently. Avi2DVD will arrange which subtitle for which movie file correctly. That is why it is so important to prepare your files at the beginning<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Note: Preparing for this guide, I couldn’t find any .avi file with subtitle. Therefore, no subtitle showed in the screenshot. I’m sorry though<o></o>

Step 5: Menu<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    I have to temporarily postpone the Creating Menu step. Because of its complication with so many different steps involved, it is difficult for me to combine everything in one basic guide. I’ll have separate guide for Avi2DVD’s Creating Menu in the future<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    <o> </o>

<o></o>
    Last edited by cynthia; 26 Jun 2006, 11:45 AM.
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Step 6: Add Job and Go<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    Now it is the time to add the job to the Job Queue. Click the Add Job button. Once you have the job in the Job Queue list, simply click the Go !!! button to begin the process

Step 7: The Process and Burning<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    The amount of time the Avi2DVD process will take place really depends on you source files, what encoder you use, and basically how fast your computer is. After the Process you will have these files in the D:\Movie\Avi2dvd_temp<o></o>

We can use DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn to burn DVD with its ISO image or use Nero to burn DVD files in the DVD folder<o></o>
    <o> </o>
    The End<o></o>

For a printable PDF please download here:

How to Convert AVI Files to DVD with Avi2DVD.pdf

<o></o>
    Last edited by cynthia; 26 Jun 2006, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• benbryant
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Aug 2005

Hello blu,

Much mahalo for helping me with those pics again. I've owed you so much for your help already

Regards

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

Have a look at how they are attached with the [img] tags. It's just a matter of uploading them somewhere (e.g. www.imageshack.us) and pasting in the hotlink for forums.

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• benbryant
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Aug 2005

Hello blu

This is the first and the only forum I've ever joined. I am stilling learning how to post and reply the thread correctly. Is it be easier for us if the forum software allow us to insert the pixs directly to ours posts without using a site for hosting images. I'll the imageshack next time when posting the image. Once again, thank you so much for guiding me, blu

Regards

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

use imageshack it's very simple, actually they have a one click system or something now also that i think jmet mentioned. whoever it was maybe they can say more, but i'm sure that info can laso be found at their web site.
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

Hi benbryant I found this very interesting.Can you tell me what happens if you deinterlace anyway does that cause a problem?

Comment

• benbryant
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Aug 2005

Why do you want to de-interlace? You should know that interlaced video looks normal on a TV set and only looks bad on your PC because your monitor is not made to display interlaced video...Beside, why should you take medicine when you are not sick?

Regards

Comment

• soup
                  Just Trying To Help
                  • Nov 2005

Now you got me thinking thanks benbryant

Comment

• Blink
                    • Jan 2006

Problems

Hey guys,

Saw this post and was going to PM the starter, but you need 10 posts before you cna PM, so I'll post my problem here.

I followed the setup and process here word for word, and the program does not give me an ISO or VIDEO_TS folder. It gives me the following:

AudioStream 1 MP3 2CH
                    Avisynth_Script_File
                    Avi2Dvd_Log
                    BeSweet_AudioStream 1 MP3 2CH.ac3

Now, I opened up the log and found that it said there was an error, does anyone know how I can fix this?

This is the exact log:
                    [4:43:45 PM] AVI2DVD Started !
                    [4:43:48 PM] Type mode : Avi Input
                    [4:43:48 PM] Output : Dvd
                    [4:43:48 PM] Encoder Selected : HCEnc
                    [4:43:48 PM] Start demuxing the AudioStream No.1 ...
                    [4:44:05 PM] Demuxing of the selected audio finished
                    successfully ! [C:\Program
                    Files\LimeWire\Shared\Avi2dvd_temp\Extracted_Audio .mp
                    3 65102339 Bytes]
                    [4:44:07 PM] Audio extracted renamed successfully !
                    [C:\Program
                    Files\LimeWire\Shared\Avi2dvd_temp\Fixed_Audio01.m p3
                    65102339 Bytes]
                    [4:44:07 PM] Starts Mp3->Ac3 convertion ...
                    [4:55:49 PM] Audio converted in Ac3 successfully !
                    Files\LimeWire\Shared\Avi2dvd_temp\AudioStream 1 MP3
                    2CH.ac3 250555392 Bytes]
                    [4:55:59 PM] Start creating avisynth script ...
                    [4:56:00 PM] Avisynth script created successfully !
                    Files\LimeWire\Shared\Avi2dvd_temp\Avisynth_Script _File
                    .avs 185 Bytes]
                    [4:56:33 PM] Bitrate used : 6474 Kbpps
                    [4:56:33 PM] Start video encoding ...
                    [4:56:54 PM] Video encoded successfully ! [C:\Program
                    Files\LimeWire\Shared\Avi2dvd_temp\Encoded_Video.m 2
                    v -1 Bytes]
                    [4:56:54 PM] Job NOT Done. There are warnings ... Find at
                    the log file the 0 byte generated file to focus where exactly
                    the problem appears

Thanks guys,

Blink

Comment

• benbryant
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Aug 2005

Hi Blink,

Thank you very much for using the guide. Please make sure to follow the step correctly and carefully. Since Avi2DVD is still in the beta phase (Avi2DVD 0.4.3 is the newest version), the program is buggy enough to cause more problem for us to experiment. Some users have reported having problem using HCEnc encoder and QuEnc encoder works well for them and highly recommended. My guide just shows simple procedure step by step how to use the program, please try and experiment them yourself, and choose what is good for you

Regards

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                        NOT an online superstore
                        • Oct 2005

Does this method keep menus?
                        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                        My DVD Collection

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

how could it keep menues when there is hardly any such thing as a menu in an AVI?

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

there is an exception though, didn't the divx team hack the avi container to contain menu's, chapters, etc?
                            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2001

divx6, yes, but how many files will average-joe come across that'll contain menues?

Comment

Working...