X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soup
    Just Trying To Help
    • Nov 2005

Need Help To Find Codec

I have installed GSpot which brings up first ?.Should I be looking at afreecodecvt?As far as I know codec wise I have installed ffdshow latest,Xpcodec pack 1.3.0 and Xvid.Now there might be more because I also have Avi2Dvd.Anyway with all this Gspot tells me that I need fourcc Div3 name DivX3 low motion and there might be an AP attached to that I don't know where I got it from in my notes.Where would I find it?I was thinking of downloading K-Lite codec pack full v2.66 but i am holding off until I get advice from here.GSpot also tells me that one of the codecs is improperly registered Fraunhofer audio D what do I do about this?Last ? I promise should I be looking at getting rid of safely any of these packs without hurting anything else.I don't seem to be having any problems so far.Lost in no man's land please help.

• UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

divx 3 AP (angelpotion) should be played fine via FFDSHOW

i wouldnt want to install this particular divx3 version as i consider it real CRAP and playback can be achieved with alternative decoders

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

What would you suggest as I have FFDSHOW installed but GSpot doesn't seem to be reading it or does GSpot only go from it's own database and not my system.If there is an alternative I will try it because I am converting from avi to dvd.Thanks for your reply I am kind of new to this.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

"Xpcodec pack 1.3.0"

not a good idea IMO. codec packs are evil.

go into ffdshow's video decoder configuration, find "divx 3" in the codecs list, and make sure its set to 'libavcodec'. you might also want to to do the same for "other mpeg4". this should allow you to play it.

to be able to encode, do the same, but this time go through ffdshow's "VFW codec configuration" & do the same
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• soup
          Just Trying To Help
          • Nov 2005

Video decoder configuration DivX3 & other Mpeg 4 set to Livabcodec avi will play now.Vfw codec configuration not sure what to do but don't see other Mpeg 4 there is Mpeg4/ MS Mpeg4 v2.DivX3 is set to Livabcodec but does not say low motion which is what GSpot tells me is not installed.Codec FourCC Div3 Name DivX3 Low Motion.Oh I forgot to mention XPCodec pack has mpc in the same file and when I went to move it today to get rid of pack mpc would not come up as recommended program to play avi's where it did before in fact I even had it as default.
          Last edited by soup; 1 Jan 2006, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

click the "decoder" tab when you open VFW configuration. then set divx 3 & other mpeg4 to libavcodec

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

I have done what you said sorry you had to do it so mant times.Same message comes up 4 out of 6 avi files.They will play they will render but when it comes to video top right hand corner codec not installed.

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

guess you might have to bite the bullet & install either divx 6 or divx 3.11 http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/divx311_setup.html

it won't do any harm, but you should uninstall it, if, after this conversion, you don't have any more divx3 files. just for good measure

Comment

• soup
                  Just Trying To Help
                  • Nov 2005

Thank you anonymez but from the tone of your message I am going to sleep on that one.I did visit the thread but I want to be a little bit livelier to look it over.As it is 12:10 AM here Happy New Year.

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

HNY, soup

the less codecs on a system, the better. it won't harm your pc

Comment

• soup
                      Just Trying To Help
                      • Nov 2005

Before I did what you advised GSpot had 44 video codecs then after I changed it still had 44 video codecs wouldn't that mean it didn't load the ones I did?I think I could use direction on getting rid of codecs that I don't recquire like XP & Xvid.Is FFDSHOW all I really need?I just use NeroVision Express 3 & Avi2Dvd.

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

A list of programs/filters that should allow playback of almost anything:

-ffdshow
                        -Dscaler5 (Optional)
                        -Haali's Media Splitter
                        -Real Alternative
                        -Quicktime Alternative
                        -Media Player Classic
                        -VLC

Last edited by anonymez; 7 Mar 2007, 03:26 PM. Reason: updated links

Comment

• soup
                          Just Trying To Help
                          • Nov 2005

I had seen your guide before and I should paid more attention to it.I did some housecleaning and either uninstalled or deleted GSpot/Xvid/XP/ffdshow/etc.I then installed real alternative/ffdshow/oggdsfilter/avicodec.I already had power dvd/Qalt/wmp/.Used avicodec and checked same files all supported.The only thing I did not find was nvidia but I guess if the files are supported I do not need it for now.I haven't completed the projects yet but thanks to you anonymez I feel a lot better about it.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎