X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmanshead
    Consequence is a bigger word than you think, it's bigger than you or me
    • Dec 2005

Burn errors, a couple questions

I keep getting burn errors mostly when it is verifying what is burned. I have been using Imation dvd+r, and while the first 400 have given me few problems this pack seems to be giving me a high rate of failures. Might it be the media or could my burner be going bad? If it might be the latter is there a way to check?
    If you use these forums you will not have to face that...
    Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.
  • dmanshead
    • Dec 2005

well I think it is the media

The Nero cd-dvd speed tool shed some light on my problem. looks like major problems with the media. Imation uses CMC MAG E01 +R which is 3rd class media. I think I may have found my culprit, I checked some of the earlier discs and they were of the same manufacturer, guess I just got lucky. If anyone is curious as to how mwdia is rated check this page out:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    So now i guess is the only question that is left is there a way to check if your burner is running correctly?
    Long Live Foamy!!!

My burners Nec ND 3550A, Benq DQ60, Liteon SHW P6S, 2 Sony AW_Q170A's (free with my new system) and JLMS XJ-HD S.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

yes those media are definetly poor, perhaps you can post a burn log?

also read the GROB
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• soul4tnt
        one..
        • Mar 2006

what do you use?.. and please write the errors you get. i get errors too.

i get "communication failure" with nero.

Comment

• dmanshead
          • Dec 2005

Mostly the errors i was getting were during verification of me discs, normally i make an ISO image and burn with dvdd, but i may move on to ImgBurn. I bought some Sony discs that were made in taiwan, and i would give them a better rating than the first set of imation discs i as using. the label id for the set of imation is cmc-mag-e01 +r, poor quality, the sony has a label SONY-D21-01, and walmart where i bought those nasty imation discs, would only replace the ones i had left (note do not throw your bad ones away if you think you might return them) with imation discs. luckily i got some that were made in india with a id MPB
          Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• dmanshead
            • Dec 2005

Darn hate when that happens.....
            the id is MBIPG101-R04-01, and they do well. I'm bnot sure what to make of nero's CD-DVD Speed program but in the disc quality test the original Imation (tiawan) would never finish the test, The sony (tiawan) would end with a quality score of 20 and the Imation (india) ends with a 30. guess it goes without saying discs made in taiwan suck!!! it took me some deep looking at the sony media the 50 Pks are made in japan but the 100 pk like i bought are a taiwan make the only difference in labels is the mad in section, but 2 50 pks are more expensive than the 100 pk considerably.
            I guess i should be happy that I'm still learning things everyday. as for a burn log i would if i had those discs but i got them out of my hair, i I will continue to look for the made in japan logo or try to find a good brand and stick with it.
            Oh a final note the Imation i was having problems with i tried every burn program i had access to and nothing worked.
            Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• geno888
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Dec 2005

Imation media are low quality discs. There is no way to obtain good results from a bad media.

What burner do you have? And what speed you burn these media?

Comment

• dmanshead
                • Dec 2005

depending on my machine a MEMOREX +/- RW True8XI, whic i usually burn @2.4x lowest allowable or the other one Lite-On DVDRW SHW160P6S @ 6x which is the lowest allowable. I need to check if my firmware is upto date on the LIte-On but it is on the Memorex. I like the Lite-On as it allows me to change the bit set, I generally only use the + discs there is no way, i have found to chane the Memorex, and i have tried with dvdd, bitsetter, and nero with no sucess. I just found out The Lite-On is a dl burner and may look into buy DL discs, but they are spendy, and would only do so if the quality was there.
                Long Live Foamy!!!

Comment

• geno888
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Dec 2005

I'd like to say that "the lowest is burning speed the highest is burn quality" is not valid with nowdays media.

Burning 16x media @2x is not a good idea: results will be bad also with high quality media.

Try to burn a disc @12x with your liteon and see results. Avoid to use an old burner with recent media: usually firmwares don't contain the right burning strategy, and produce bad quality.

My suggestion is to try to burn a media @12x or @8x (not slower) with your liteon, and then do a scan wirh cd-dvd speed (do scan @8x whatever speed you burned the disc) to see quality.

Comment

• soup
                    Just Trying To Help
                    • Nov 2005

Now I am not saying this is your problem but it happened to me using cheap media. I had about three verifying errors in a row, after just chucking the first two out, I decided to try something. I cleaned the disc & then re-verified, bingo it worked. As for burning, I kind of stick to jmet's rule of thumb, burn at half the maximum of the disc.

Comment

• jamoskeag3
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Nov 2005

If i put an 8X dvd in a 16X burner, what burn speed do you recommend?

If i put a 16X dvd in a 16x burner, then what burn speed do you recommend?thanks

Comment

• geno888
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Dec 2005

There are no absolute rules to state burning speed.

The best performance is related to the combination burner/firmware/media.

For example, 8x taiyo yuden can be burned with very good results @12x (I obtained very good results with my benq 1640 firmware BSLB; this is not latest firmware, because not always latest firmwares are the better ones).

Usually (but not always) 8x media give best results burned @8x or @4x.

16x media usually (again not always) give best results @12x.

Again is burner/firmware/media related. Too bad the only way to know is to do some burnings and see what give best results.

A good start for a 16x media is a burn @12x. Try it and do scans.

Another thing: liteon burners have a built-in function that allow them to "learn" from previous burnings. But this "learning" require at least 4-5 burnings to give best results. So, if you obtain results not perfect in the first burning, try to do another and see if it improve a little. If you see improvements, then give to the burner the chance to learn more for that media.

Comment

• NightTran
                          King of Digital Video
                          King of Digital Video
                          • Aug 2005

can you burn 16x and have a good quality yet? if you can prove by scanning 16x and high quality score then burn at 16 ( I dont think this would be the case) most pp will burn at 8x or 12x depend on the out come quality.

I burn all mine at 8x, all with dvdd and just changing burner and scan after but the quality is not very much diff. I jsut like my 1655 more then others
                          sigpic

Comment

• jamoskeag3
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Nov 2005

geno, if i put an 8x dvd in my 16x burner, i do not get the option to burn at 12x???
                            I ususally use verbatims; sometimes tdk if dont care that much about movie.

Comment

• NightTran
                              King of Digital Video
                              King of Digital Video
                              • Aug 2005

some does, over speed burning in the firmware or qsuit
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎