Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spetznatz
    • May 2002

AVI vs. MPEG quality

Why is there such a drastic difference in quality between AVI and MPEG video formats? Whenever I come across a video clip available in both AVI and MPEG the AVI file is always cleaner, clearer, sharper, has better contrast, and better overall color. In addition, the AVI file is not uncommonly smaller, as small as half the file size of the MPEG.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Is there a reason for it? The only advantage I have found MPEGs to have is you do not need the completed file in order to achieve playback.

Thanks,
    Spetz
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I had some answers to your question in an earlier thread:

Comment

• a1sy
      • May 2002

I WANT THE BEST SVCD/DVD QUALIY

It's fact that the AVI quality much better than MPEG.
      I'm trying to find best encoder , but it's look a long way.
      Studio7 I'm using now give me very bad SVCD quality.
      TMPGenc a little bit better, but I'm doing my experiments around
      10 days ( every day 3-4 hours) with different settings and I'm still
      expect better results. It's just looking like out of focus, especially
      when the object or camera moving.
      I have a digital camorder 3CCD PV-DV951 and the quality of the original just perfect. I'm doing some editing with Studio7 ( just adding some titles and MP3 music) and saving it with DV conversion as AVI file. This AVI file I encoding with TMPGenc , but
      as I said before I'm dramatically loosing my quality.
      I'm not sure I'm doing something wrong with my setting - I've
      read all articles about it in www.vcdhelp.com and in this forum as well.
      I'll rty DVD2SVCD and CCE , but I think it will be more or less the same quality.

Do somebody know THE BEST SVCD and DVD encoder, even not free, even expensive , but it will give me opportunity to
      get real DVD or SVCD quality.

Sergey:

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
        • Nov 2001

Hi there, here is some comparsions done on encoders, players, codex, ect ect...

Cheers

Comment

• a1sy
          • May 2002

What about professional encoder

Thanks Cheers
          Well , I saw all this information in www.vcdhelp.com.
          I'm just curious which encoders professionals using for original DVD's . I can imagine that it's expensive , but it's monkey business
          to get perfect movie on 3 ccd camera and transfer it to something poor , jerky and not enjoyable to see.
          I'M JUST THINK TO KEEP MY MOVIE ON VCR , but I can't do editing. Actually I can , but it's a long way : Camcorder - Computer - Editing - Camcorder - VCR.
          What I bougth a digital camcorder for?
          The link you send me shows every encoder loosing the original
          quality (one more-other less). I want original quality or very close for my SVCD or DVD!!!
          Sergey

Comment

• 1 Smelly Fish
            • Nov 2001

I am not sure what or how your converting and encoding, what speed your doing it at and your PC Specs. I have captured, encoded and burnt video footage to SVCD and the quality is DVD quality with very minimal loss at all if any noticable. But with only a Athlon 600 it does take me up to 24 hours to do so, but the qualtiy is flawless.

Cheers

Comment

Working...