• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Art Vandelay
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Feb 2006

DVR-RB & Filters

I forgot to mention that I using HCenc set at Best and the bit rate is fairly high (6,000)

A question about filters I put in the RVD-RB editor. (I have all the filters in the plugins folder of AVIsyth)
    1. Does it matter which order the filters are in the editor when 2 are used? I have used fluxsmooth and deen together; Is deen() really needed?
    fluxsmooth(7,7)
    deen()

2. I have also used : fft3dfilter and tweak together to sharpen and brighten pic,;

fft3dfilter(bt=-1,sharpen=.7)
    tweak(hue=0,sat=1,bright=10,cont=1.5)

3. I have used removegrain:

removegrain(mode=4,modeU=2) or i sometimes use this script
    removegrain(mode=3)

I am using the filters only for TV captues (NOT DVD) from my Sat. rec. Generally they are pretty harsh looking so I use fluxsmooth, deen, and removegrain to smooth the pic.

I have tried peachsmoother but I get an error mesage in HCenc saying the source isn't the compatible colour or something like that.
    1. Why use deen() with fluxsmooth don't they do the same thing?
    2. Does anyone have some better combinations or filters to use for a Sat. TV Capture? Please provide settings I can use in the editor.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

AV
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 13 Feb 2007, 04:09 PM. Reason: forgot some info.
  • linx05
    • Nov 2005

This post will answer your first question, http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...261#post953261

Comment

• techreactor
      Banned
      • Jul 2005

It all depends on your source quality, some sources require many filters while others might not.

As a generic rule, do not use too many filters if you dont knwo what they are meant for. They add up to the encoding time but do nothing better.

Comment

• jdobbs
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Sep 2004

This post doesn't apply to Art Vandelay -- as he's identified why he's using a filter, but I thought I'd add a comment for general information.

Just as a general rule, you shouldn't use filters unless you have a need for a filter.

A filter is meant to perform a specific function. If you look at your source and it has a lot of noise, for example, you might add a filter for removing noise. But if you use a denoising filter on a source that doesn't need it -- you will be distorting a perfectly good picture -- and it will look worse that it would have without the filter.
        Last edited by jdobbs; 15 Feb 2007, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• Art Vandelay
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Feb 2006

Less Means More

@Jdobbs,
          Yes I only use filters after looking at the source. I am using my capture card in my Media Center to get movies and HBO from my sat. rec. I only use it if I need it, many of the movies are sharp and grainey looking when I capture at high resolution. I find fluxsmooth(7,7) or (10,15)does a pretty good job with your software. Yes less means more, I only use the filter If I need to. The final output is pretty good (not as good as a DVD rip but I don't expect it to be)

I have never used a filter on a DVD back up when I use your software. It with HCenc does a very good job.

AV

Comment

Working...