• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • O-pos
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2005

Installing Ubuntu Linux

I'm also interested to install Ubuntu Linux on my laptop and to have a dual boot system for a transitory period for assessmet, but I'm not sure how my laptop (Pentium M-1,5GHZ, 37GB HD, 496MB RAM) can handle both and I don't know how to do that and organize all these laptop drivers. These are main problems, otherwise I'd alrady have it long times ago.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

Have you tried installing it yet? Hardware compatibility is pretty good, at least on the three desktops I have tried it on. Dual booting is quite easy too, the only part that might be confusing is setting up partitions, which can be created/destroyed/resized/formatted with the live CD.

Three partitions are recommended, one for the "root" (or simply "/"), which is similar to C:\Windows directory. One for the "home", similar to My Documents, and one for Swap, ie Virtual Memory. For a new user, 4GB, 2GB and 1GB, respectively, should be plenty.

The next stable release is due April 19, I'm currently using the beta. Completely stable so far, will be a fantastic release
    Last edited by anonymez; 2 Apr 2007, 06:27 PM.
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• O-pos
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Dec 2005

I didn't install it because I don't know where to organize installer CD. If I'd have it, I'd do it today, I like it! If possible, I'd have blue-coloder ubuntu (http://www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu/screenblue.png) furthermore, My windows is very spoiled at this moment and I'm going to reformat everything and to make partitions, because I have only C drive and it's not so comfortable to have everything on C.

Do you know where to get the real (not virtual) insteller-CD or kinda step-by-step how-to-install-ubuntu help-link for newbies?
      Last edited by O-pos; 2 Apr 2007, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

I didn't install it because I don't know where to organize installer CD
        Not sure what you mean...

I'd have blue-coloder ubuntu
        There are many different themes available. Unless you mean you would rather have KDE instead of GNOME, then go for Kubuntu.

Do you know where to get the real (not virtual) insteller-CD
        I don't know how you can download a virtual image, I guess you mean the live CD? Just run it, and click the "Install" icon on the desktop.

step-by-step how-to-install-ubuntu help-link for newbies?
        Plenty of documentation at http://www.ubuntu.com

Comment

• O-pos
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Dec 2005

On my office computer I could just download this 700MB installer, burn it and use for my laptop, but I'm afraid that IT guys can notice this "huge" traffic and I can get troubles with my lab. Otherwise, I don't know where to request free CD for 6.10 - apparently there's only for 6.06. Which version would you recommend for my lap?

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

On my office computer I could just download this 700MB installer, burn it and use for my laptop, but I'm afraid that IT guys can notice this "huge" traffic and I can get troubles with my lab
            Broadband is very highly recommended for most Linux distributions. You may have a hard time getting updates and new applications and their dependencies under windows or another PC.

I don't know where to request free CD for 6.10 - apparently there's only for 6.06. Which version would you recommend for my lap?
            As you found, only 6.06 LTS is shipped for free. I recommend 6.10, or 7.04 beta.
            Last edited by anonymez; 2 Apr 2007, 09:13 PM. Reason: consistency

Comment

• O-pos
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Dec 2005

I couldn't wait and I downloaded it! it's 6.10. can I try it now on my laptop? Like I said, there are no partitions on my lap's HD and the old XP is running, which I want to reinstall later. Is it still ok that I install Linux now? or is it better to wait until I reinstall xp and create partitions?

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

Ubuntu contains GParted, it can safely do all types of things with your partitions. However I recommend you boot to Windows first, defrag your hard disk, reboot, defrag again. Burn the CD, boot from it (change the boot order in the BIOS) and resize/create partitions as described in post #8.

Just be careful when creating partitions, as with any such tool, a couple of accidental clicks can wipe your hard disk. The setup wizard is pretty intuitive, but don't do anything you're unsure of.

Edit: Thread Split.
                Last edited by anonymez; 2 Apr 2007, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• O-pos
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
                  you boot to Windows first, defrag your hard disk, reboot, defrag again
                  "Boot windows first" means installing new windows, and "reboot" means just restart, right?

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

When I said "boot to Windows first", I meant log into Windows, not re-install, LOL.

"reboot" means just restart, right?
                    Yes.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

37 gig hard drive is cutting it kind of close

anony, the 4,2,1 division, where do the programs go?

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

The root parition, so 4GB. My Linux partitions total 65GB, only suggested 7GB as a starting point, it might take a while before he wants to switch completely, if ever. Most settings/config files for apps are kept in hidden folders in home.

Comment

• O-pos
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                          37 gig hard drive is cutting it kind of close

I didn't understand exactly what do you mean. I have following plans:

C: Windows 13GB
                          D: 6-7GB free allocated space (for Ubuntu to be installed later)
                          E: fat32 - for Documents, music, movies, pictures. 17 GB, both Ubuntu & Windows should be able to see and access it. (actually, is it possible? if yes, then I shouldn't need "home" partition for Ubuntu on drive D:, should I?)

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

OK based on your needs, I'm thinking 4 Partitions, order is irrelevant:

C: Windows (FAT32 or NTFS)
                            D: root (EXT3) , maybe 4-5GB
                            E: swap (swap) 1-1.5GB should be plenty
                            F: Documents, music, etc (FAT32)

A few notes:

- You do not need a separate partition for the "home" folder, it is optional but generally recommended for easy backups/clean installs. In your case you have a FAT32 partition with all documents so it's fine
                            - Ubuntu can read and write FAT32 partitions
                            - Ubuntu can read, but not write to NTFS partitions.
                            - To enable reading and writing to NTFS paritions, you will need to download NTFS-3G, a wonderfully stable driver, especially considering MS did not provide any help.
                            - Windows cannot "see", read or write Linux partitions. Installing ext2fsd will take care of that.
                            Last edited by anonymez; 2 Apr 2007, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• O-pos
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • Dec 2005

ex2fsd means FS-Drive? So with NTFS-3G Linux can read and write NTFS partition, and with ex2fds Windows can read and write ext3 partition.

That means, I have to decide for shared data partition whether it's ntfs or ext3. right? If so, which one should I pick? which is better? Or maybe the principal issue for answer is whether NTFS-3G or ex2fsd works more stable? Now I'm not so enthusiastic about FAT32 anymore because it las file size limitations and lots of fragmentation occurs..

"home" would be good, either as as partition or included in ext3 Shared-data partition.

Comment

Working...