• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katzdvd
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Feb 2006

Ubuntu Linux - Split Thread

Chewy move to Linux already, you won't have to worry about any of this firewall, spyware, or virus/trojan nonsense
    anony - Over the years, I have given that some thought; I have a few questions.

1. What is the learning curve for Linux? Problem is, with "little ones" running around, I don't have alot of time to devote to schooling...
    2. Seems like there is so many varieties, which one to go for?
    3. Hardware Support/drivers?
    4. Software Support/availability, i.e., my favorite programs that I already like that run in XP, including games.
    5. Install as a standalone OS, or would you rec. dual boot? (I probably already know that answer!)

thanks, katz
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

1. Depends on the distribution. Very little for general use, but if you're into tweaking it might take a few days to a few weeks. Forum and Wiki support aplenty.

2. Tried a few, favourite is Ubuntu by far. Probably one of the easiest for folks migrating from Windows.

3. Pretty good, considering how many different devices there are, and how little support they get from most manufacturers. A lot of hardware works "out of the box". With the latest (Beta, to be released on the 19th) version, wireless/wired networking is a breeze, as is installing restricted (proprietary) drivers.

4. The main reason many Linux users, including me, still have Windows on their PC. There are compatibility layers like Wine and Cedega which run Windows apps reasonably well. The latter is better for gaming, but is commercial. For many apps you have in Windows, there is one for Linux that is equal or better.

5. You can run entirely from the Live CD (won't make any changes whatsoever to your system), or dual boot. Don't recommend doing away with Windows till you're comfortable.

6. Hope I don't come off as a Linux zealot, I have nothing against Microsoft
    Last edited by anonymez; 15 Apr 2007, 09:15 AM. Reason: terrible typos!
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

anony - thanks for the info. I know there are many forums & help sites, so that is a plus. It is also nice to see you say that many devices work "out of the box". What about video, sound cards, etc. You do not need to install drivers?
      You can run entirely from the Live CD
      That sounds very interesting; a fellow can get his "feet wet" while safely learning!

I know that it is considered "safer", or "more secure" than windows. Do you experience quirks, hangs, BSOD, etc?

How many years have you been using Linux?

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

What about video, sound cards, etc. You do not need to install drivers?
        Most devices have open source drivers, which are included. For devices that don't, or do not work well, there is a restricted driver manager (in the latest release) that will allow you to download & install them with a single click.

That sounds very interesting; a fellow can get his "feet wet" while safely learning!
        A good rescue tool too

I know that it is considered "safer", or "more secure" than windows. Do you experience quirks, hangs, BSOD, etc?
        No recent crashes/bugs, even though i've been running an alpha, and now beta, release. I did experience a few quirks with networking in 6.06, but were resolved quickly with a kernel update. IMO it is more stable than XP. BTW you will never actually need to reboot when using Linux (aside from when, say updating the kernel).

How many years have you been using Linux?
        Dabbled for a while, trying out various distributions, but have been using Ubuntu "properly" for about a year.
        Last edited by anonymez; 15 Apr 2007, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Feb 2006

Hmmm... you are dangling the bait, & it looks tempting! Can you post some helpful links, download sites, places you recommended for a Linux "Newbie in training"?

I have watched & observed "techies" talk about it over the years (Leo Laporte, Patric Norton, others on the show...)

They used to mention Phat Linux, have you used it? Like - not like? What is the purpose of so many different versions?

It is odd that more people don't use it....

Would you consider using it as an only OS, leaving windows behind altogether?

gettin close!

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

Hmmm... you are dangling the bait, & it looks tempting!
            Really? I haven't even mentioned the good stuff, LOL

Can you post some helpful links
            Many distributions have their own wikis and support forums, they provide pretty much everything including nice quickstart guides.

download sites
            One of the great features. With the major distros you don't need to browse the web for software. Ubuntu, for example has a Package Manager, a nice app that lists over 20,000 open source/freeware apps/libraries. They are all categorized, searchable and automatically downloaded/installed in two or three clicks.

They used to mention Phat Linux, have you used it?
            Nope

Would you consider using it as an only OS, leaving windows behind altogether?
            It is my main OS, only reason I keep XP around is for gaming and Photoshop.

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

It is my main OS, only reason I keep XP around is for gaming
              No gaming on Linux? My son won't be happy to hear that

Chewy, Chewy, where are U?!? Time to get your feet wet too!

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

Well some Windows games work well with Wine (Half-Life 2, Quake III/IV, UT, World of Warcraft, etc), and many work well with Cedega (commercial, subscription based). But not all, and that's why we dual boot.

Comment

• katzdvd
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Feb 2006

Well, I've been running CD Vers. for an hour or so, & I like it so far! Gnometris is cool!

Couple of dumb questions;

How do I access my hard drives? I can't seem to find a way to get into my windows files, etc. Is this possible?

I did notice something different so far; While using Linux, when I scroll on web pages, the "lag" of text, etc. that I noticed on my LCD monitor is gone!

I always (mistakenly) thought this way all pretty much "command line" based stuff, but the GUI is amazing, for a free operating system. If this works out well for me, I may say goodbye to Bill Gates forever!

BTW, what's all this about Linux being "ugly"?!?!

Looks fine to me!

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

How do I access my hard drives? I can't seem to find a way to get into my windows files, etc. Is this possible?
                    Yes, it should be automatically mounted (ie there should be an icon on the desktop). If not it can be fixed with a little cli voodoo. But if you're running from the CD, that's normal.

I did notice something different so far; While using Linux, when I scroll on web pages, the "lag" of text, etc. that I noticed on my LCD monitor is gone!
                    We can probably narrow it down to drivers then

I always (mistakenly) thought this way all pretty much "command line" based stuff
                    The GUI is easier and covers quite a lot, but more often than not CLI gets the job done faster. It will soon be painless, most people pick it up pretty quick.

BTW, what's all this about Linux being "ugly"?!?!
                    You might want to head over to Youtube and search for Beryl. The desktops on display are cluttered, but will give you an idea of what Linux can do better than Vista on relatively old hardware. Unlike Flip3D (Vista), Scale and Cube/Workspace Switcher actually help productivity.

BTW, you may want to give this thread a quick look.
                    Last edited by anonymez; 16 Apr 2007, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• katzdvd
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Feb 2006

BTW, you may want to give this thread a quick look.
                      good thread; I did not know about the 32 bit/NTFS thing;
                      - Ubuntu can read and write FAT32 partitions
                      - Ubuntu can read, but not write to NTFS partitions.
                      Yes, it should be automatically mounted (ie there should be an icon on the desktop). If not it can be fixed with a little cli voodoo
                      Not sure what that means, but I guess I'll discover it sooner or later

Also, is there a list of pgms. that I can view that do work on Linux?
                      Before I go real far, I want to get a feel for what will work, such as;

All my ripping/burning apps. (Shrink, DVDD, & all the others)
                      Audio editor (I use Goldwave exclusively)
                      Games (my son wants to know this one!)

IIUC, I will need the NTFS-3G driver & also ext2fsd?

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

Not sure what that means, but I guess I'll discover it sooner or later
                        For a drive to be read/written to, it must be mounted first. This is done automatically, and an icon is then placed on the desktop to each drive for easy access. No drives will be mounted automatically if you're running the OS from the CD.

Also, is there a list of pgms. that I can view that do work on Linux?
                        There are many lists of Windows apps and their Linux equivalents, but I haven't found them all that helpful. Many things are covered with the software included in the default install. The forums is a great place to start, then there's also Synaptic. The more popular software have their own Wikipedia entries.

All my ripping/burning apps. (Shrink, DVDD, & all the others)
                        Audio editor (I use Goldwave exclusively)
                        Games (my son wants to know this one!)
                        - Wine works well with Shrink, Imgburn, etc. There are native apps too.
                        - Audacity is probably the most popular, there are a few others I cannot remember than names of at this time
                        - Sites like this keep track of games that run natively.

IIUC, I will need the NTFS-3G driver & also ext2fsd?
                        The NTFS-3G driver is to be installed on Linux, which will allow NTFS reading/writing. ext2fsd is to be installed on Windows, which will allow ext3 reading/writing. Whether you need them is up to you-- I for example don't have ext2fsd installed.
                        Last edited by anonymez; 17 Apr 2007, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• katzdvd
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Feb 2006

I also found The table of equivalents Very informatve. Long list to go thru!

You may have noticed my recent pc build thread. Is it possible to install ubuntu only on this new pc, right from the start, without using windows?

Using a SATA 250 GB drive, what happens when I get to the "press f6 to install 3rd party/raid driver"? during the windows install? Or, maybe a dual boot system would be in order...I don't know, I kinda like the idea of cutting the cord w/ Windows altogether if I can. I do have my other pc to fall back on for XP work, if I absolutely need to.

As you can tell, I don't know what I am doing here, please forgive all the "newbie" questions!

BTW, I am a "tweaker", so if I get into this thing, I will want to go "all the way"

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

Is it possible to install ubuntu only on this new pc, right from the start, without using windows?
                            Sure. Have you decided on the graphics card?

Using a SATA 250 GB drive, what happens when I get to the "press f6 to install 3rd party/raid driver"? during the windows install?
                            Not needed for Linux, for XP you'll need to have the disk handy.

Exciting, isn't it?

Comment

• katzdvd
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Feb 2006

I have this vid card installed, just waiting on HD from newegg, then I'm ready to go!
                              GeForce 7600 GT OC/ 256 MB / GDDR3

Comment

Working...