X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Proposed Amendment Would Ban All DVD Copying

A proposed amendment to the current copy protection license governing DVDs would completely ban all DVD backups, and prevent DVD playback without the DVD disk being present inside the drive.

-- snip --

The amendment reads:

"6.4. Certain Requirements for DVD Products. DVD Products, alone or in combination with other DVD Products, shall not be designed to descramble scrambled CSS Data when the DVD Disc containing such CSS Data and associated CSS Keys is not physically present in the DVD Player or DVD Drive (as applicable), and a DVD Product shall not be designed to make or direct the making of a persistent copy of CSS Data that has been descrambled from such DVD Disc by such DVD Product."

Background info: Kaleidescape makes a range of home entertainment servers that copies DVDs onto hard-drives, complete with CSS code (does not decrypt it). It obtains a license from the DVD CCA to then playback this CSS protected material from the hard-drive. In essense, CSS was never broken, and a license was aquired for it. Of course, this means the user can playback the movie without the original disc. This amendment will try to address this.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

DVD-CCA postpones Kaleidescape vote

If CPAC ultimately approves the amendment it would then go to the full DVD-CCA for final enactment. Were it to get that far, Malcolm said, Kaleidescape would seek an injunction stopping it from taking effect and would also seek to enlist the help of antitrust regulators.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

OMG I hope that doesn't pass! I don't wanna buy another copy of a DVD when mine gets scratched
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

If that happens I will STOP buying them. That is insane, people have made personal copies of there movies since they were made.
        Beta, VHS, Laser disc what ever its all been done and was never a big deal until they came out with DVD.

When people stop buying movies they will get their heads out of their butts.
        They want to make more money but that is not the answer for more profit.

Just my thoughts on that.

I personally feel that anything you buy and own you should be able to do what ever you want to do with it. If they are going to dictate what you can and cant do with things you own, then what is the point of owning anything.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

Working...