X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Piracy not raiding CD sales

The enforcement arm of the Australian music industry has dismissed damaging overseas research that found illegal music sharing actually increased CD sales.

The study, conducted by two researchers at the University of London for the Canadian Government, found people downloaded songs illegally because they wanted to hear them before buying or because they were not available in stores.

Try before you buy makes sense. And you can't blame people for resorting to piracy if the content is not available for listening/viewing/purchasing.
    Last edited by admin; 6 Nov 2007, 04:10 PM.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

This isn't exactly news, I've known that to be true for several years.

Now why won't the RIAA back off?

Now, as far as listening before you buy... sites like Amazon have the 30 second previews, and stores like Borders also have their little machines. Although I'd rather listen to an entire song.
    Another use for file sharing, *not that I'm saying I do this*, is to get rare versions of songs not available elsewhere. Several bands have de-formed and said they don't mind their tracks being shared around, as it's the only way to get them. Other examples include instrumental versions, radio-only edits, and stuff you can't even get on iTunes or CDs.
    Last edited by drfsupercenter; 7 Nov 2007, 01:05 AM.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• usotsuki
      • Mar 2007

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
      This isn't exactly news, I've known that to be true for several years.

Now why won't the RIAA back off?
      Because then they lose their cash cow.

Another use for file sharing, *not that I'm saying I do this*, is to get rare versions of songs not available elsewhere.
      Agreed.

Several bands have de-formed and said they don't mind their tracks being shared around, as it's the only way to get them.
      Or how about Trent Reznor who actually encourages people to pirate NIN music to spite the record label?

Other examples include instrumental versions, radio-only edits, and stuff you can't even get on iTunes or CDs.
      Very useful, especially as I make remixes from time to time.

-uso.

Comment

Working...