X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Call of Duty 4 - old PC friendly?

After being able to barely run Call of Duty 2 in 640x480 on my 3 year old computer (with my ancient Radeon 9800 XT and single core CPU), I was pleasantly surprised with the CoD 4 demo, which worked quite smoothly even at 1024x768 and looked great too. I was always a bit surprised that my system was able to run the great looking Half-Life 2, but would struggle with CoD 2, so it looks like the developers have done the right thing and have made CoD 4 more scalable to differently powered systems.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

I guess you haven't tried the crysis demo?

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

The Crysis slideshow demo you mean? Might actually download it and have a see just how bad it is. I seem to remember barely being able to run FarCry even without the unsupported HDR.

Actually, ever since I moved some the cards around my system (moved the sound card away from the video card, to reduce heat), the system has been running faster for some reason. For example, I can now run C&C Tiberium Wars in "High" mode setting in 1024x768 (only with shaders set to low detail), whereas before it was frame skipping like mad and with slowdowns in game speed, even at the "low" mode. Even the in game video had audio sync errors. All of these problems went away once I moved the sound card. The extra cooling might be the reason, although I think it might have been a conflict between my sound card and the video card (the sound card is now conflicting with a USB port, but that's easily avoided).

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

did you have your bios set for plug and pray OS?

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Yes, if I can remember.

Just tried Crysis, fairly playable at 1024x768 @ low quality settings (it won't even let me select higher settings), but stutters when there's too much action on screen. Obviously, it doesn't look as good as the screenshots on the web, but it's not half bad looking either.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

I keep sound cards down low, but really avoid them if I can

Comment

• tunk
              • Dec 2007

get yourself a Nvidia 8800GT 512MB...$230

...thank me later

Comment

• Chewy
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2003

To run the built in demo in the Crysis demo, run the batfile "Benchmark_GPU.bat" in the folder "Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Bin32\Bin64\"
                Crysis demo @ standard settings time 29,09 average fps 68,77

that was with quad core running 2x 8800GTS

according to one poster

Comment

• tunk
                  • Dec 2007

the "new" 8800GT 512mb specifically built for crysis - according to NVidia and Crytek...get's you the most "bang for your buck". Of the course the 8800GTS and the beast of all cards: the 8800Ultra run faster...but for a hefty price...go to tigerdirect and check prices!

I got my 8800GT 512mb from best buy for $230...and i have an sli mobo so maybe for christmas the wife will...ahhh can always dream

btw...can someone check my thread in the beginner, noob section?
                  Last edited by tunk; 24 Dec 2007, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by tunk
                    get yourself a Nvidia 8800GT 512MB...$230

...thank me later
                    I've already blogged about the 8800GT here:

When I posted about my recommended computer specs back in September, I chose the 640 MB version of the GeForce 8800 GTS, but it was far from my first choice.

I currently have an AGP only motherboard, so to get the 8800GT, I'll have to get a new motherboard, CPU, RAM ... I think I better stick with my original plan to buy a new computer in the new year (possible specs listed here).

Originally Posted by Chewy
                    Crysis demo @ standard settings time 29,09 average fps 68,77

that was with quad core running 2x 8800GTS

according to one poster
                    I ran the timedemo (obviously in 1024x768 "low" quality mode only as that's the only mode that it would let me run), got 51.35s 38.95 fps. Fairly playable, although it doesn't look like a new 3D title, and the min framerate is only 7 fps.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎