X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

DVD Forum sets new rules on China HD DVD format

The HD DVD is dead, but the DVD Forum apparently has not given up hope on the Chinese version of the format yet. Toshiba will chair the Steering Committee over the next two years.

With the demise of HD DVD, CH DVD might have an even better chance of survival. Even Sony and other Blu-ray backers can now support CH DVD through the DVD Forum (of which Sony occupies the position of vice chair), since it no longer conflicts with their interests in Blu-ray. China won't accept Blu-ray due to royalty costs, and by having two diferrent formats in China and the West, there is a natural barrier for piracy, which was the whole point of having a "China-Only" format.

And since CH DVD is basically just HD DVD with some new software, look out for dual format (Blu-ray/HD DVD) players in the West, and the same models slightly tweaked to become dual format (Blu-ray/CH DVD) players in China.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Perhaps this is like Japan and laser discs

Though I actually like laser disc... it's good for old releases that get butchered on DVD (The Lion King, etc)
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...