X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

China readies Blu-Ray competitor

Shanghai United Optical Disc today announced it has completed the first production line for China Blue High-definition (CBHD) disc format, a new competitor for Blu-Ray. DigiTimes reports via enorth.com.cn. Volume production will begin in the fourth quarter of 2008 for the China market initially.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • ed klein
    Banned
    • Mar 2004

If China Blue High Defination (CBHD) truly wants to make a name for themselves and be competition for Sony Blu-Ray then they are going to have to do it buy price.

Cost/Price is the best way to sell and advertise a product. Undersell Sony Blu-Ray, even if you have to take a loss for the first 4 quarters.

In the long run you will come out ahead.

EXAMPLE:

Look at Wal-Mart, they have undersold everyone for years and are STILL doing this. Thats why they are the largest discount store in the WORLD.

Humans/people will gravitate to the cheapest product assuming it is a quality product.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I think the format will mainly be for China though, as it's main advantage is the low royalty fees. If Sony feels that Blu-ray needs to be the one and only HD disc format in the world, then they could do a discount deal with China on the royalties or perhaps do what Toshiba did and create a sub-format that is based on Blu-ray but replaces the royalty components with Chinese engineered ones.

The interesting twist on this is Toshiba's HD DVD China format and the expansion of the DVD format. Either can be adopted too with modifications of royalty agreements to serve the Chinese market, and I'm not sure if China is ready for blue laser technology anyway considering CDs (VCDs) are still used quite commonly.

The video format war is now between DVD and Blu-ray, but it's basically still between Toshiba and Sony. China may be the next battleground.

If major electronic firms ramp up production of Blu-ray players in China, it is then second nature that China will produce their own Blu-ray players based on these designs. So Sony may not need to do anything to win this war.
      Last edited by admin; 30 Jul 2008, 11:56 PM.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...