X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Is it time to say sionara to the CD?

Are downloads sounding the death knell of the CD?
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

I think people will still buy CDs if they want lossless... The thing that bothers me about mp3s is how most of them are encoded at 128kbps, and that almost always sounds bad compared to the CD.

If they had legal music downloading services offering 320kbps, maybe I'd think otherwise... Amazon's is pretty good at 256 but it could go higher still. (or at least offer a choice, maybe $1 for 256kbps or $1.25 for 320kbps?)

Not to mention, they will never, and I mean never, have music stores that offer FLAC/wav files... so people like me who like the original quality still have use for CDs.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• ed klein
      Banned
      • Mar 2004

I don't think so, I use 700mb CD-R more for data than for music. I used to put my movie only on two CD-R disks, before I broke down and got a DVD burner.

There are a lot of EXISTING hardware units that use CD's. in some shape or form.

And besides, those who live in the boonies (like the outback) like I do, where you can't even get high speed internet to download a full length movie. Some of us still live in the cave where there is no high speed internet.

Last edited by ed klein; 12 Sep 2008, 03:58 AM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

LOL, for data I use my 1 terabyte hard drive Either that or a DVD-R

The only reason I use CD-R is for audio.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• gonwk
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2005

Hi folks,

Let's say you convert your Music CD to iPod ... to MP3 with these settings 160kbps, 192kbps, 256kbps, and 320kbps.

Q: Do you guys can "Really" tell the difference between those 4 clips when you are listening to them?

Hey drfsupercenter ... I am waiting for the 1 TB HDDs to drop to 5cent per MB ... then it will be worthed to use as my Movies Archive space ... until then DVD-R is my way to go.

G!

Comment

• dr_ml422
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2007

It's ironic that being raised in a culture where music for the most part is a big part of life, I've never been to consumed by it to actually go out of my way and buy some, except in a few rare occasions. That along w/parties and all that jazz. Not that I lived in a bubble or was exiled to a monastery. Believe me I've had my share of fun. That said, the only reason why I would consider another format is because of the lack of space required to store cd's and now dvd's as well. I just put up new shelves because of the latter, and I'm in the process of declutterization.

One thing though that I do understand is economics. Some of these cd's are still going for up to $20 and the worst thing is having just 1 or 2 good tracks on it. Like everything else it might be a game of hurry up and wait until any definite change takes place.

My friend is good friends w/a pretty good singer and she's even complained about the decrease in her cd sales as a result of the topic at hand. The industry shoots itself in the foot and then cries bloody murder.

Remember prohibition. It failed. Those who fail to remember are doomed to repeat. This goes across the board imo.
            SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
              NOT an online superstore
              • Oct 2005

Some songs have a huge difference, others have very little.

I have quite a few 128kbps mp3s that sound just great. But others sound bad even at 192kbps... It all depends on the type of song, typically those with loud bass need a higher bitrate.

I got the 1TB hard drive for $150... Micro Center has them on sale for $130, no rebates involved.
              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• gonwk
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                ... I got the 1TB hard drive for $150... Micro Center has them on sale for $130, no rebates involved.
                Hey Doc,

Now that is a GREAT tip ... I'll check it out. THANKS!

G!

Comment

• UncasMS
                  Super Moderator
                  • Nov 2001

i still prefer a cd to an mp3 download

got "death magnetic" cd today and looking forward to "black ice" and other stuff as a cd and not a downloadable version

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎