Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warner Bros. plans to support CBHD, the format war is back on -- at least in China

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Warner Bros. plans to support CBHD, the format war is back on -- at least in China

It seems appropriate that after striking the fatal blow in the war between HD DVD and Blu-ray, Warner is the first to break rank and ally itself with the China Blue HD team.
    It seems appropriate that after striking the fatal blow in the war between HD DVD and Blu-ray, Warner is the first to break rank and ally itself with the China Blue HD team. Ready to enter the ordinary Chinese consumer's family, according to Managing Director Tony Vaughan, the Harry Potter series, Speed Racer and others will launch for 50-70 yuan ($7.30 - $10.22) per disc. Excuse us while we pick our jaws up from the floor, but with at least one Hollywood studio in pocket and 1999 yuan ($292) players on the way the son of HD DVD looks remarkably closer to a real Blu-ray competitor (and less like the destined for the scrap heap reject we predicted) than ever. With DVD sales shrinking and Blu-ray not quite ready to pick up the slack, how long until another studio decides the Chinese market has enough potential to publish movies on CBHD? [Disclosure: Engadget is part of the Time Warner family][Via Format War Central]
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Abuilder
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Oct 2006

Am I the only one that didn't have a clue what CBHD was?
    They tried to Assimilate me and failed!

Comment

• Chewy
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2003

Expect to see more of this as China emerges from the status of a 3rd world country.
      They will be not held ransom to Japan or even America's technology.

Bend over Sony..............................

Wait till the pipeline is finished

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

If the stuff is good I can't wait.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

A friend who works for the oil industry tipped me off 10 years ago

to reach full capacity in 2011
          but we know oil has nothing to do with anything right?

Comment

• gadgetman2
            • Feb 2009

Originally Posted by Abuilder
            Am I the only one that didn't have a clue what CBHD was?
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH-DVD
            I'd never heard of it either. If the price is right this could be a winner.

Comment

• BluFan
              • Sep 2008

I've been working on some blu-ray projects with Warner Home Video and it's my understanding that this format is intended for Chinese markets only. Blu-ray will remain as their principle focus for the rest of the world, the CBHD format contains additional proprietary copy protection software owned by the government. It may be cheaper, but overall I dont see the quality matching blu-ray.

Comment

• BR7
                He is coming to your little town!
                • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by BluFan
                I've been working on some blu-ray projects with Warner Home Video and it's my understanding that this format is intended for Chinese markets only. Blu-ray will remain as their principle focus for the rest of the world, the CBHD format contains additional proprietary copy protection software owned by the government. It may be cheaper, but overall I dont see the quality matching blu-ray.
                That is my understanding as well. CBHD was brought up months ago and caused a bit of a stir until people found out it was for China only.This news doesnt really concern us... unless you need it for trivia

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

You kidding or what? when was the last time you opened up your computer or checked out anything else for that matter? Everything's coming from China practically. Guy at the local hardware store looked at me like I was crazy when I asked for a Eagle brand electrical adapter.

Maybe a stroll about a block from me will help you realize that there's no more Chinatown's here. China's here. Best service I'm getting now is from Chinese pharmacy. they're for the underdog. They're not taking any shorts either. when we have to be diplomatic about having talks w/them regarding n.Korea that should say enough.

That said, they've built some of the largest projects on the planet. ie: The great Wall Of China, and prolly the largest damn ever to stop the flooding that was killing thousands over there. 4got which river or ocean, but mood point. This pipeline is a cake walk.

Also I posted that it was just a matter of time b4 some of the big boys drop Blu-ray n come in 4 the kill w/different format. It's time. $$$ always end of conversation. media execs won't wait for Blu-ray's quote unquote emergence or takeover. Not happening. At best just alternative format.
                  SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• BR7
                    He is coming to your little town!
                    • Aug 2005

You kidding or what?
                    I thought the tongue out stated I was being sarcastic

This site has earned the tag of being an anti Sony/Blu-ray site in other forums.It seems odd to me that everyone here was all for HD-DVD, and thought it was the next coming,up until it lost the format battle.Now all of sudden it's pro downloads.

If everyone believed what is preached here,wouldn't you think it would have gained more members to support this theory ? All I see here is maybe 10 people here at a time,compared to 2368 at blu-ray.com.Think of it as a fanboy site if you want,but all I can say is that the information has been accurate,rather it be from the site or the insiders there.

I could care less what Sony did.Could it have used a better approach,maybe.All it did was try to protect it's property from being stolen.Granted this site never preached anything but the right to back up our property and had good intentions.In general we all know that 98% of the people coming here to learn back up, was not backing up there personal stuff. Until they find a way to keep people honest and keep movie companies from losing money ,we all are going to have to put up with some shananagins now and then.I have more respect for Sony then I do MS that is for damn sure.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎